• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Venus Jupiter conjunction

tuckstar

Looks to be a very close conjuction of the above in June. June 30th will be closest. Not sure how close but will merge together naked eye. Looks like a lovely dance flicking through the hours on skysafari☺

• Like 1

Hi Andy, thanks for that! Well spotted!

I have had a look on my app (Sky Safari pro etc) and can see they will appear about 0.5 degree (29 minutes at midnight) apart.

Another chance on July 1st too!

They will be an awesome sight, Lets hope we have clear skies!

Cheers!

Yes, looking forward to this conjunction. Both June 30 & July 1 we are in for  treat.

Its noticeable even now, how they are starting to close in on each other.

Also Venus will be much bigger then than it appears now.

The problem however, on June 30 will be a lack of darkness.......

Yes, looking forward to this conjunction. Both June 30 & July 1 we are in for  treat.

Its noticeable even now, how they are starting to close in on each other.

Also Venus will be much bigger then than it appears now.

The problem however, on June 30 will be a lack of darkness.......

At magnitudes -4.2 and -1.4 they will soon pierce through the twilight and should be easy to find.

Looking forward to it :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just bumping this thread.

I'm looking forward to Tuesday night 30th June, Venus and Jupiter low down in the west after sunset. They are only 0.3 degrees apart, less than the moons diameter, and should make a great sight however you look at them. In a scope both planets will be about the same apparent size, about 32 arcseconds, but Venus will show a nice crescent. Might need a filter to tone down the glare. Jupiter will be magnitude -1.8 and Venus -4.4 so it should look quite spectacular even in the twilight if you have a good western horizon. Look out for a dim mag 1.4 Regulus several degrees to the left.

• Like 2

I'm not superstitious, so I'm going to mention the weather :)

My notably unreliable weather app (see my other thread in the Weather section) is forecasting 100% cloud free and 22 degrees C for Tuesday twilight :) So it should be scope and T-shirt observing and little or no scope cooling necessary with room temperature outside :)

You can shout ME down in flames if it's raining on Tuesday night :)

Edited by Tweedledee

I'll keep a look out of course on Tuesday. I'm at work unfortunately, but will take the camera with me just in case.

Another good chance on July 1 as well.

Spotted them tonight for the first time this week. A lovely sight in the evening twilight.

A couple of astro buddies commented to me that they are 'as one' on the 30th.

Indeed this months Astronomy Now list them as being only 20 arc seconds apart.

This must be a mistake : i think they mean 20 arc minutes, not 20 arc seconds.

Thats still 2/3 the moons width, so very close.

I'm hoping to capture then in the same fov in the scope.

Should be good. (and as you say Mick, the forecast is looking very promising)

Edited by Bino-viewer

My Starry Night Backyard has them at 21'48" at 11pm. Fingers crossed for clear skies.

Well, due to a total lack of western horizon from my house, and after obtaining permission, think I'll be popping up to Belper on tuesday to watch this.

I'm out in Mansfield Tuesdsy night Andy, if done early enough and it's clear I will pop up and join you.

Hi Andy. What time do you think you will go up? Would have to be pretty early I guess.

I mentioned this to my thick sister and her reply was they are going to crash into one another are they  :facepalm:

I just shook my head in disbelief.

Going to set out about 7/7:30. Should be there by 8. They set by 11:30.

Not sure which scope to bring. Might struggle to get both in the fov with the zeiss.

Edited by tuckstar
  • Like 1

Oh no! Practice night for the juniors. Gateway and the bins for an hour then.

• Like 1

I mentioned this to my thick sister and her reply was they are going to crash into one another are they  :facepalm:

I just shook my head in disbelief.

haha.

Reminds me of my mum, honestly she is completely clueless and lacks any logic or reasoning.

Just last week I mentioned how fast earth spins as it cuts through space and her reply was "wouldn't we fling off it at that speed"

Practice finishes at 9. Quite pleasant on the new patio, even left a couple of chairs out.

Views are great and both easily in the fov of the zeiss. Of course the only cloud in the sky has now parked it's self in the way!!!

Practice finishes at 9. Quite pleasant on the new patio, even left a couple of chairs out.

Views are great and both easily in the fov of the zeiss. Of course the only cloud in the sky has now parked it's self in the way!!!

likewise

Ok which one of you jokers switch Venus off .  :rofl:

I dont know if it was the incredible heat haze or what but I have stood here looking a Jup and her 4 moons with no problem, Venus nowhere to be seen.

I packed the gear away as Jup went behind a house and have come upstairs.

Looking out the window I can now clearly see both of them.

You have just got to love this hobby.  :wallbash:  :wallbash:  :wallbash:

Edited by Graham

I managed to find them at 8.10 tonight in the 10x50s while the sun was still well up, but shaded by a neighbours house. Couldn't see them naked eye though. Then managed to get them in the ST120 and got a surprisingly good view for such a bright sky. Highest power used was 100x using a Skywatcher 6mm UWA. They certainly were close and very nice to see side by side, and at a temperature at about 25C  :) .

• Like 1

once I had them in the scope this afternoon I could pick venus up quite easily

even at times without my glasses

I manged it on Sunday using Andy's scope at Shipley as a guide

this is the first time I have seen venus while the sun is up in this country

• Like 2