• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Strange fog on image.

Graham

This is a combined stack of 37 x 2 min subs.

Anyone got an idea as to what the fog is ???

Group1.jpg

Condensation/dew on the sensor window, I get it on planetary sometimed. I keep a silica gel bag with the cam in its case now

Thanks folks.

I had the dew heaters running all night.

I did strip the image train down after I pack up but could not see anything amiss.

Did not think to check the chip chamber as it is supposed to be sealed.

Will get it dried out.

Thanks again for the input.

Well I have had the camera sitting in front of a hair dryer on a low heat for a couple of hours.

Hopefully the cloud gods will let me give it a test tonight to see if it has gone away.

I have a 2" dew tape around the window holder just behind the filter wheel. Keeps the filters warm too.

Well the issue seems to be electrical.

I adjusted the pot inside that controls the anti bloom and the fog vanished, the trouble is the bloom is back.

Move the pot to get rid of the bloom and the fog comes back.

Looks like i will have to send it to SX to get sorted.  :(

Not to worry Mick.

Had a nice little chat with SX today and was given instructions of how to try and resurrect the camera before I have to send it back.

After talking through the problem it seems I may have adjusted the 'black point' pot to the extent I have raised the camera's Black point setting  to a level which is causing the problems as the camera is trying to compensate for the high starting point.

Anyway I have got to reset the Black point by taking one second darks testing the screen output and then adjusting the pot until I bring it back down.

This hopefully will reduce the huge amount of 'gain' the camera is producing to compensate thus stopping the fog.

Should be a fun evening ahead.

On the bright side I will not be loosing imaging time as it is pouring with rain yet again.  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

A little bit above me that is Graham.

Best of luck doing this.

Once the rain stops of course.

A little bit above me that is Graham.

Best of luck doing this.

Once the rain stops of course.

Mick 

I am ok on the how to bit :2thumbsup:   but the ins and outs of the technical details are a long long way above me .  :dontknow:

Good job those guys at SX know what they are on about.  :ok:

Update.

I have just checked the ADU on a one second dark frame using Maxim and instead of it being the MX 916 setting of 15000 it was 42000  :o  :facepalm:  :facepalm:

Quick adjustment of the Black point pot and it is now back down to where it should be.

Hopefully this should go a long way to curing my problem.

Fingers, toes and everything else crossed for a satisfactory test tonight. ( cloud gods permitting. )

Well I seem to have it sorted at last.

Had a very brief go at M51 last night an all seems to be well with it.  :party: