• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Eyepiece cases : what do you have....?

Bino-viewer

Here's my new 'Pelican style' eyepiece & accessory case.

Very easy with the pull-out pre cut foam to get everything nicely in place.

The case feels pretty much bomb proof : easy to fit a decent padlock on to it as well.

They are listed at £50 from Maplins....which is great value really when you way up the 'Pelican' equivalent.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/large-high-impact-case-with-pre-cut-foam-interior-n14gr

Contents as follows :

Top,  31mm Nagler,  2" William Optics mirror diagonal,  2x Baader T2 Prism diagonals (one high power, one low power) & Mark 5 Bino-viewer.

Bottom, 2x & 4x Powermates, 24 & 19mm Panoptics, 13mm Naglers.

......and room for another pair in the bottom right hand corner  ;)

The idea was to try to get everything i needed for a night session in to one case.

I do have another Maplins tool case as well, but that has all my various adapters and other bits in it.

No room for my Herschel wedge in this new one though, but i have a mini case for that and my growing array of filters.

I shudder to think of the cost of it all, and if it ever goes missing or gets stolen, i WILL have heart failure !!

Anyway....thought i'd start a thread on this forum (like i've seen on others) where we can show off our cases & eyepiece gear.

Would love to see what you have people.......... :)

17759010619_15dfc6685c_c.jpgUntitled by Robert Seymour, on Flickr17945266515_2eb3410643_c.jpgUntitled by Robert Seymour, on Flickr17942176642_2ce9e8e81b_c.jpgUntitled by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

Very nice Rob. :thumbsup:

I use the cheaper Maplins cases that often get discounted.

I have a minimal eyepiece collection... :)

Explore Scientific 25mm 100 degree, and 9mm 120 degree, Televue 17mm 100 degree Ethos, and a couple of 1.25" ones Televue 20mm Plossl and Meade 26mm Plossl. Altair Astro coma corrector, Astrovid Stellacam 3 with 75mm F1.6 lens.

May have to get new foam and redesign the layout as I plan to get the TS 5mm 110 degree to complete my set.

20140911_223645.jpg

Another Maplins case with Telrad, RDF and a 5 position 2" filter wheel containing LPR, UHC, OIII, H-Beta and an unfiltered opening.

904s.jpg

• Like 1

Only four EMSers look after their eyepieces then!!?? :)

Come on, must be others with some photos, or do you just chuck your eps in a plastic bag :)

In the early days Pete (before things got out of hand in the eyepiece dept  :o ) i used to have an old fleece jacket

with 6 pockets in it that i kept my glass in. Not ideal, especially the time when one flew out of a pocket i'd forgotten to zip up !!

The big 31mm 2" (my oldest eyepiece now)  forced me to abandon that idea. A 1kg it was like having a bag of sugar in your pocket  :lol:

You wouldn't want to drop your 31mm Nagler on your patio, you'd probably crack a slab :)

In my early days, circa 1970, I don't think eyepieces even came with lens caps, and they were all very small. I used to keep mine in a small plastic Tupperware box with some cotton wool. When observing in the garden I would keep them in my jacket pockets. I had a 0.965 inch eyepiece which was tiny, less than 1" in any direction. One night I lost it, and spent a while the next day searching the garden thinking I'd dropped it. It turned up two weeks later having dropped through a hole in the pocket into the jacket lining. Even though my mum had washed the jacket, the eyepiece still worked perfectly. Don't think it was labelled waterproof or Argon purged :)

• Like 1

Still have all my Tele Vue in the boxes they came in, i do have 3 maplins cases but they all need new foam as my kit has changed over the years, it's on my to do list.......

I think TS in Germany sell replacement foam Darren......

And at the other end of the quality scale... an old cake tin, my wife's loving contribution to the hobby. Round tins are truly the best storage solution for multiple rectangular objects, heh.

I'm sure this situation will improve over the coming years :)

EyepieceTin.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Another Maplin case!

I decided to put all my observing accessories in one case to minimize the risk of leaving something vital at home and protect valuable kit. 

Contents.

EP's.

50mm GSO 2", Revalation 26mm 2", 13mm Baader Hyperion (+T2 adaptor), 7mm Celestron Luminos, 5.1mm Orion EpicED-2, 4mm Vixen SLV, 32mm Revalation Plossl, 2 X Barlow Celestron X-Cel LX.

Filters.

2" Baader Neodymium, 2" Orion SkyGlow UltraBlock, 1 1/4 Blue 80A, 1 1/4 Yellow 15A, 1 1/4 Cross Polarisers.

And.

Celestron 9x50 RACI Illuminated reticule Finder scope on standard Sky-Watcher dovetail mount. 

Sky-Watcher Red Dot Finder + spare battery. 

2" Sky-Watcher Star Diagonal.

Laser Pointer.

Head torch, red or white light (Morrisons super market !! ).

Emergency torch.

https://flic.kr/p/u8Aoha

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've just invested in a small B&W case.

I know........ I'm such a copycat, haha

I will upload some images here, when I kit it out.

Ok, this is my lunch box B&W case that I paid £30 for delivered. Ok, it's small; but it's actually perfect for me as I can get the Hyperion in, made better as it comes with adjustable Velcro inserts. I reckon I could fit, two larger eyepieces in the right, 3 or 4 plössl in the centre and filters, cleaners and few other things to the left.

image.jpg1_zpskmbnnaql.jpg

image.jpg1_zpsx1hwxcpq.jpg

• Like 1

I have a B&W case as well, they are really well made, waterproof, dustproof and indestructable.

Nice one Martin.

To add, the larger dividers are also velcro fastened, they can be removed or possitioned to your liking. I've since modified it, so the eyepiece are seated on their side and I should fit 3 or 4 with a few loose bits too.