• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

DSLR Astrophotography

Guest Ryall

Guest Ryall

Hi Folks,

I recently got myself a new camera and have been having a blast with it. Mostly been using it for daytime objects but I've tried some basic astro shots of the moon and short exposures of the sky and I've been thinking of investing in a sky tracker like the iOptron SkyTracker and Vixen Polarie because I'd love to get some nice widefield long exposures to make that milky way pop out.

Has anyone had experience with said equipment? Or can they recommend similar gear?

Any thoughts or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Ryall and welcome to the fascinating world of ap

I dont have experience of the 2 animals you speak of but concidered them when I was looking for a portable camera mount I went for the Skywatcher Star Adventurer and have found it a superb little mount, its also cheaper than the 2 you mention.

These mounts are great, because of their diminutive size you can stick them on a camera tripod, pack them in your camera bag and be set uo and imaging in minutes.

Ive used my SA many times with my modded Canon 1000d with a 50mm kit lens and love it. No guiding, no pc, just the rig with an intervalometer set at 2 to 3 mins depending on sky conditions. Simple astrophotography, its great