• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Eyepiece Help

Brady

Morning All

Does anyone use any of these eyepieces and if so would they recommended one or the other?

Meade Series 4000 8mm-24mm Zoom

Baader Hyperion Mark 3 Clickstop 8mm-24mm Zoom 

im not sure if its the route to go or not but they look like good bits of kit and easy to use...save on a few bits and pieces in the box maybe?

Thanks

Edited by Brady

I use the Mk2 Baader zoom which beat the Meade one in a S@N review a couple of years ago. There was a little trouble with the Baader Mk3 seizing up in very cold conditions when they first came out, but I understand that was  resolved a long time ago.

The Baaders are very good and very flexible - lots of different ways to use them - and there are many different accessories to go with. Though fixed length eyepieces of the same standard are usually preferable - the Baader zoom is perhaps the most useful piece in my kit. Hth :)

Edited by Brantuk

Cheers Kim, as much as i would like the Baader set of pieces the cost and practicality of the zoom compared to the 5 pieces is lets say...tempting..am i right in assuming that some of the extension accessories if thats the right term will also work with the zoom?

Thanks for the info Kim

Yes - the accessories I have are the 2" adaptor, the fine tuning rings, and the DSLR adaptor ring. I understand there's a barlow for it now as well (which I don't have/need). Check with the retailer though to ensure any accessories you buy are suitable for use with the zoom - Baader have a whole collection of image train add-ons for all sorts of cameras and scopes - many of which are zoom compatible. :)

To be honest Kim its the barlow set i was looking at, complete with T2 ring £248, i can add the tuning rings at a later date..there are a lot of good reviews on the kit so it looks like its a buy ;)

I had the mk3 zoom for over a year and only got rid of it when I went down the Tele Vue route. Very versatile ep, a massive improvement over the stock eps that ship with new scopes but it's not par focal like they say it is but that doesn't really matter. A good ep that I would also recommend.

You won't be disappointed Brady - it's a sound eyepiece and two or three grades above supplied eyepieces. Also far superior to any of the starter eyepiece kits on the market. You may also want a 28mm - 35mm wide angle eyepiece to go with it (in the fullness of time) because the fov at 24mm is a spot narrow - well it is a zoom after all. :)

I had the eyepiece off Daz, and it's one of my favorites. It is probably one of the top selling zooms, and as with all zooms, it has a narrow field of view compared to a fixed focal length eyepiece. That said, I wouldn't get rid of it, it suits my needs well.

Thanks for the input guys, all geared up to order then a Canon EOS 500D fell in my lap this weekend so said money has gone towards that..a couple of weeks saving should see the Zoom/Barlow/T2 on order for sure..a definite judging by the response..

I find that cheaper zoom eyepieces tend to introduce colour fringes but sometimes use mine for narrowband solar viewing and afocal photography. Chromatic aberration is very small. Of course Earth's atmosphere and all sorts of issues cause colour fringes.

Evening gents 

Im getting close to ordering the eye piece set but still need to pick some brains before i buy, i am still impressed with the hyperion zoom and think that the eyepiece would be a very good start to my observing but i have also been looking at the Hyperion 21mm and getting the fine tuning rings

Zoom gives me...8, 12, 16, 20 and 24

21mm with rings gives me...21, 17.6, 15.5, 14, 18.5 and 32.2

I know i cannot use the rings on a 24mm so i will lose that size but i do get an additional 32.2 with the ring option which i would sure like to try...am i answering my own question here?

Any help guys is always appreciated

Wayne

You need to remember with the Hyperion MKIII zoom, your not just getting 8, 12, 16, 20 and 24mm focal lengths, they are just where the click stops are at, you are still getting everything in-between, so 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15mm ETC.

As this is in 1 ep, it saves on faffing around, you just put the 1 ep into the focuser and your done.

Now with fine tuning rings and ep's ETC, lets say your up the Belper dark site in December and its -2, will you be able to insert a fine tuning ring in the dark?

I`m probably not helping much with the decision making, I`m just trying to offer the pro's and con's for each choice.

The up side to the fixed focal length ep's though is slightly better / clearer views, which you get on all fixed length ep's over any zoom counterpart.

Hope that helps?

I echo what Darren says above.

There are always compromises to make with kit, especially eyepieces.

I would say the tuning rings are a faff at any time, and especially when your fingers are numb and you are tired in the middle of the night. You are probably going to lose the rings in the dark sooner or later. But maybe that's just me. I tend to lose eyepiece dust caps in the dark and recently mislaid a little plastic collimation cap in the back garden, I reckon the dogs found it the next day and have probably chewed it and left it elswhere in the garden :lol: .

The zoom is one of the best quality zooms for the price, and you have a continuous range of focal lengths for a little more cost than just one fixed focal length Hyperion. The fixed focal length Hyperion will give a slightly better quality of view and a wider field, but initialy you will probably enjoy the zoom and therefore use it more.

I say that unless you can afford a range of 3 or 4 fixed focal length Hyperions, then get the zoom, and have all the focal lengths to get you going. If in the future you decide to sell the zoom and upgrade to better quality fixed focal length eps, then you will have plenty of takers for a good price, as they hold their value very well and are much sought after. More than likely you will find you want to keep the zoom to use along side your better quality eps.

I totally agree about tuning rings, I had some when I had my Hyperions and I lost some in the field, they are totally naff in the dark. I even lost a x2 TAL barlow once in a field, so maybe it's me.

Stick to 4 good quality fixed eyepieces that's my advice.