• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

PST vs Herschel wedge

Graham

Thinking about getting a Baadar Herschel wedge P  for my Solar stuff.

How would it compare to a PST with regards to surface details proms ect.

I would be using it on the back of my 5 inch Helios Frac.

Hi Graham I have one of these and use it on my 120ED Triplet. The image is very sharp and you can see all the details within the sunspot and quite a lot of granulation, unfortunately it doesn't show proms, you will need a PST for them.

It's really well made, comes with 3 ND filters and a Continiuum filter which turns the image green but adds more contrast.

Also comes in a lovely little case.

Expensive but better then solar filters/film.

Wedge will not allow focus with a DSLR on an ED80, not sure about others though. I have used it with webcams though and have to say that imaging wise I find no advantage to the wedge over baader film. Visually though it is better. If I were choosing between the two with a view to imaging I would choose PST before the wedge.

Also check out the Lunt 50 series Graham.

A couple of hundred £ more expensive but a step up from the PST.

We (Derby & District astro society) are debating buying one for society use.

The Baader Herschel wedge is very well made, and is adaptable to use with binoviewers.

Its well engineered : i use a 5" refractor too, and was concerned with heat build up, but it never gets above warm to touch, which when you consider

the temperature at the focal point of an unfiltered telescope can reach 600*C is quite something.

I purchased it with the March eclipse in mind, and we had some great views with it.

I've been pleased with mine. I'm not a skilled imager, but i've been pleased so far with the images i've taken. ( I can focus ok with my refractor )

Next step for me is to try stacking and processing with my new camera. 

Another 'white light' option is the Lunt wedge. Much cheaper ( 1.25" )

The Lunt system also allows you at a later date to purchase an extra etalon, to double stack.

I had a look through a little Coranado 40mm which was double stacked last year and was impressed.

This inevitably bumps up the price though. 

Heres an image i took with my setup back in April.

16569050133_f97694e983_z.jpgDSC00482 by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

Edited by Bino-viewer