• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Fibre optic broadband is nigh

philjay

Whehey, just sorted our connection up to fast broadband in our village. BT has been secretive over the past year as to when it will be available but there has been activity with cable laying and a new green box appeared on the corner 2 months ago. After interrogating several of the open reach oppos we now find its ready :-).

So a quick word with our provider and on the 17th we shall be connected. Yeay. Now to experience what others have been taking for granted and to find out what things like Yuotube, Ipayer and other streaming type things are all about

Guest peepshow

Don't make the same mistake that I did by switching the hub on and off each time the PC is used. 

I daresay you might already know that, Phil.

When I did that over a 6 week period my speed dropped from 32 Mbps down to 1.9  :facepalm2:

It's OK now.

We are finally due to go live at my office in Swadlincote next week as we were on the only box not fitted with FTTC. As it serves two industrial estate it was deemed "uneconomic" by Openreach to connect up - i.e. there weren't enough residential customers to fleece... It was picked up through the BDUK scheme and handed to Digital Derbyshire for funding, then handed back to Openreach for installation  :facepalm2: Current speed about 0.4-0.6Mb, predicted 55-60Mb!  :D Have only been waiting 3 1/2 years for it  :screwloose:

Alan

No probs Richard, Ive never done that except to reboot when we have problems.

Im surprised at the secrecy bt have adopted over this. Our parish council have been enquiring about it with bt for years only to be fobed off with nebulous replies. It was only earlier this year when i stopped to ask the cable contractors laying a cable that we had any indication of the impending upgrade.

I would have thought bt would be the first to brag about it coming to the area but weve had nowt

• 2 weeks later...

A very nice man connected us up this morning and I am now luxuriating with faster bb than we have ever experienced. Apparently it will take awhile to settle to 30-40 mps but even now its stunningly quick. At last our village is moving into the 20th century :-) I say 20th because we still have no mobile reception, post delivered around 1500 if your lucky and as for rubbish collection, well these are still 3rd world standards

Just think you are seeing amazing images of Pluto, and at the same time Phil gets fast broadband  :lol:

you are lucky to get 30mb plus even with FTTC as it still depends on the last mile. Open Reach have modified there estimation and qualify the speeds - is this in readiness for the new rule of "You said up to" so that you can quit a contract.

Our area was done thru the regional funding (inc Europe) but when I asked who now owns the new green box's they said BT - a con

Ours was locally funded also Clive and we understand its still Bt who own it all even though south derbyshire funded it and plusnet are our providers. We still have the originsl cable for about 300 yards to the new box so we are hoping we will get close to the estimate. However at the mo its tremendous compared to what it was and its not settled yet

Yep but they arent BT. They are smaller, contact centres are uk based and they have been very sensible over the past few years we have been with them sorting many problems out. We were with Bt and had nothing but problems on both phone and bb. Bt just doesnt compare on the service side

We are finally due to go live at my office in Swadlincote next week as we were on the only box not fitted with FTTC. As it serves two industrial estate it was deemed "uneconomic" by Openreach to connect up - i.e. there weren't enough residential customers to fleece... It was picked up through the BDUK scheme and handed to Digital Derbyshire for funding, then handed back to Openreach for installation  :facepalm2: Current speed about 0.4-0.6Mb, predicted 55-60Mb!  :D Have only been waiting 3 1/2 years for it  :screwloose:

Alan

Just to update this, we got connected on 10/07, the speed once set up was 73Mb! Well pleased.

Nice one Al. Use it wisely, Ive watched a few bits of Nasa tv on New Horizons followed by 2 episodes of The Ckangers. Great stuff