• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Who'd a thunk it

philjay

Ive always run my observatory CGE (original), off win XP laptops, the main machine being a little netbook which runs the mount, nexremote, wireless gamepad for scope control, guiding and imaging cameras, PHD, capture software and sometimes Skymap Pro 11 planetarium software all at the same time and the little netbook handles it with ease.

Now 3 years ago I treated myself and bought a new win 7 lappy with a brain the size of a planet and its never been able to run the mount let alone any of the other software so Ive stuck with the netbook for mount control, which has been a bit of a pain.

I decided to have a go imaging solar today and rigged up the netbook to run the mount, zilch, nadda, nowt, no mount comms at all. So seeing as it was scudding clouds anyway I thought I would investigate. After pulling everything apart several times and trying different combinations I found the culprit the Nikkai USB to serial adapter on the PC direct cable to the mount had finally bitten the dust. 

I fitted another (I have another I use when running my HEQ5 mount) and all was well with the netbook.

So seeing as I was in the zone so to speak I thought I would try and get the new Win 7 machine talking, well it worked 1st time like a dream. Also it took the gamepad, cameras and associated software, (not tried guiding but I suspect that will be OK from what Ive seen so far). All went swimmingly until I configured the Skymap Pro to the scope then it went belly up with some conflict.

But hey Im happy as owt, this Nikkai adapter must have been on its way out for some time and win 7 was more sensitive than XP.

So Ive now got my mount running off a Win 7 machine finally just in time for Win 7 to become obsolete as Win 10 takes over no doubt :D

Im not going to rush out and get win 10 just yet

• Like 1

You will be running that lot off your Apple Watch soon Phil! ⌚ï¸

It's nice to get a good result when upgrading IT stuff though. ðŸ‘

Not me Steve, I have difficulty seeing the Netbook screen without reading glasses, I stand no chance with one of them watches.

Well I put it through its paces today, managed one image before the mount stopped working through Nexremote again. Had to reboot the PC before Nexremote would recognise the mount. Sheesh. I have a powered hub and I think Nexremote takes a lot of bandwidth thus the conflicts I may try upgrading the hub etc in future and see what that brings.

Still I am a step closer to emulating the XP netbook on the win 7 machine. Provided I don't do anything else other than drive the mount from the win7 machine alls well, once I open another prog that requires to communicate with the outside world that's it.

LOL

Ok Phil, keep us informed on your progress. You are getting there!

I have heard of 'plug and play', but in real life it's usually 'plug and won't play' 😄