• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Must have apps for the astronomer.

M.

Just thought I'd start a thread for app recommendations.

I don't have goto so I am using the sky guide app on ipad, it's really good because not only is it GPS, but it's a good tool for learning too.

I like that it lists with projected orbits of 'space junk' it's actually somewhat accurate as well, the app uses notifications and reminds you of any must see events.

It's easy to use, very pleasant on the eye.

What are your thoughts on this app?

Any good weather app recommendations?

I'm not a fruit fan but highly recommend skysafari on any platform. There are a few threads on here with lists of everyone's favourite apps. Just have a search through.

I was bought up using a paper atlas which I used for many years, trying to star hop to different galaxies, now most of my atlas or maps just sit in the bookshelf or I might look through them picking out objects to look at. In the field I now normally use Cartes Du Ceil or sometimes Stellarium.

I orientate the view on the lap top to match what I'm seeing through my eyepiece which makes star hopping so much easier.

I must admit, a few months ago I would have easily confused Saturn for a star, but since using the gps sky guide; I'm quickly learning and remembering whats up there.

I mean with the naked eye haha, I wouldn't mistake Saturn through a scope lol

I mean with the naked eye haha, I wouldn't mistake Saturn through a scope lol

Maybe mistaken using a shaving mirror scope ;)

Edited by Astronigel

Heres a list of mine on my Iphone:

NASA

Astroaid

Astroplanner

Stellarium

Moonrise

MoonGlobe

Skyweek

Gas giants

Horizons

ISS Spotter

Comet

Clear Outside

forecast.co.uk

Scope nights

Most of these are free, some you have to buy. Recommend all of them.

Dave

For those that are reading this and don't yet have FLO clear outside app, it's certainly worth downloading, its free too :)

Edited by M__

I have Mobile Observatory, which was around four or five quid. It's a cracking app for the price, and there is an immense amount of information on it. It regularly updates with the Minor Planets Centre, so all the current comets and so on are there to see.

Andy got me onto the ISS Detector, which is an eye opener. It shows you real time where above the Earth it is. When we were at Belper, it came over and we saw it when it was out over the Atlantic the other side of Ireland and lost it when it passed over Czechoslovakia. Jaw dropping.