• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Baader Click Lock system

Tweedledee

I'm thinking of moving over to the Baader Click Lock system. I've never actually seen one close up, but it looks strong and neat. It is not cheap and I'm not sure if it would solve my problem, so looking for advice.

When using my heavy eyepieces on my ST120, I sometimes find that the tall heavy eyepiece and diagonal has swivelled to one side or even ends up upside down pointing to the ground. Under this sort of leverage the two tiny thumbscrews securing the diagonal into the focuser are sometimes insufficient and are difficult to tighten properly anyway. My 2" diagonal is smooth barrelled with no safety undercut, so I am becoming increasingly paranoid about the disaster waiting to happen when one of my big eyepieces slips out along with the diagonal.

Your thoughts please.

Edited by Tweedledee

They are brilliant, I have one on my Baader Herchel Wedge and will buy a 2" diagonal and 2"-1.25" click lock one day.

Well worth it.

Talking about diagonal, there is a new AMICI Baader/Zeiss diagonal out with click lock, at a eye watering 595 Euro's.

Edited by Doc

Crikey........that is one expensive diagonal  :o

They have put their prices up too ; my T2 prism has gone from €185 to €215

But you won't find a more comprehensive set than what Baader offer. Something for everyone.

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p7947_Baader-2--90--Amici-Prism---astronomical-quality.html

Like Mick, i have the one that came with the Herschel Wedge, and it does work very well indeed.

I only use it for imaging tbh, but it holds my camera very securely.

Pete : i've also had issues with the 2 thumbscrews on my focuser.

It works ok but when i load it with over 1.5kg of diagonal, Mk V and a pair of eyepieces, i'm pushing things a bit.

I actually don't like undercuts at all. The T2 diagonal had one, and one cold night my whole bino kit slipped round 180 deg.

Fortunately i soon spotted it and no damage was done.

It was actually the undercut that stopped it from falling, but it also caused the problem in the first place.

I changed the undercut to a smoothbore which is also a lot longer. So much better, and i find everything much more secure.

But the weight issue remains, and its no fun tightening / untightening thumb screws all night with cold hands.

I've sourced an upgrade to solve this.

Its a 3.5 inch endcap, which screws onto the back of the focuser, with a collet style tightening ring. 

This should be much nicer to use. Its not cheap, but nothing much is in this hobby  :lol:

Its on its way to me from Indiana, USA.......

19297524194_d7b4755f0b.jpgEC35-505 4-500x500 by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

I've got the 2" baader clicklock, it's certainly well made and you don't need a lot of load to secure your diagonal, the W/O unit is around 480g (approx 900g with the Hyperion fitted) The WO fitting is low friction too (which dosnt help here!) but it seemingly binds non the less.

I like the quick release nature, but have thought about a redundancy tether.

Edited by M__

I reckon less than a 1/8 turn and this thing is going nowhere, it uses the brass band binding method, similar to how a band brake works. I'm looking at getting a similar drilled fitting (see above on the baader) and running a taut safety line between the two (diagonal and clicklock)

Edited by M__

Marvellous, thanks everyone :thumbsup:

Looks like that is the way to go then. These types of accessories are the things that are kept when upgrading the rest of the kit.

The important thing with amici prisms is the clear aperture. Most 2" amicis are a meagre 31mm clear aperture, barely more than 1.25" maximum throughput. I found a WO one that stated it was 40mm clear aperture, which is better as it would cause less vignetting with big field lens eyepieces.

I have drooled over the expensive Baader amici prism, it seems to be the ultimate. Can't seem to find the clear aperture stated anywhere though, but it does look bigger than most.

Rob, before I make a decision, I will have a closer look online at your Starlight adapter, they do various different fittings to suit other focusers, Cheers.

Martin : looking at that image it looks like you're using the 1.25" adapter in your diagonal.

Arn't those Hyperions dual 2" / 1.25" fit ? That looks like a safety undercut on the eyepiece barrel that we've been talking about.

Remove the adapter and mount the eyepiece in the 2" way.

Not only will it be seated better, more securely, but you'll remove a couple of cm of light path distance.

Always better with an SCT to maintain the shortest light path you can.

Martin : looking at that image it looks like you're using the 1.25" adapter in your diagonal.

Arn't those Hyperions dual 2" / 1.25" fit ? That looks like a safety undercut on the eyepiece barrel that we've been talking about.

Remove the adapter and mount the eyepiece in the 2" way.

Not only will it be seated better, more securely, but you'll remove a couple of cm of light path distance.

Always better with an SCT to maintain the shortest light path you can.

Provided the 1.25" barrel doesn't hit the diagonal flat mirror when fitted in the lower 2" opening.

So check it out carefully.

The Baader/Zeiss one has a clear aperture of 34mm so If your eyepiece has a field stop of 34mm or less you shouldn't see any vignetting.

Provided the 1.25" barrel doesn't hit the diagonal flat mirror when fitted in the lower 2" opening.

So check it out carefully.

Yet, good point Pete.

The WO diagonal (i have the same one pretty much) has quite a deep eyepiece holder.

I used to mount my old Vixen LVWs like this with no issues.

Marvellous, thanks everyone :thumbsup:

Looks like that is the way to go then. These types of accessories are the things that are kept when upgrading the rest of the kit.

The important thing with amici prisms is the clear aperture. Most 2" amicis are a meagre 31mm clear aperture, barely more than 1.25" maximum throughput. I found a WO one that stated it was 40mm clear aperture, which is better as it would cause less vignetting with big field lens eyepieces.

I have drooled over the expensive Baader amici prism, it seems to be the ultimate. Can't seem to find the clear aperture stated anywhere though, but it does look bigger than most.

Rob, before I make a decision, I will have a closer look online at your Starlight adapter, they do various different fittings to suit other focusers, Cheers.

You may notice Pete, they do a dedicated 3" focuser. (only $800)

And you know you want that ES 30 / 100 monster  ;) See how easy it is to spend $2500....?  :D

http://www.optcorp.com/explore-scientific-30m-100-degree-3-argon-purged-eyepiece.html

19736441918_24105daf2a_n.jpgUntitled-10-500x500 by

Edited by Bino-viewer

To add, I've just checked and the lock is about 70° lock to lock and fully tight it turns about 20°

Thanks rob :) I will check that out, but think it will be very tight.

Edited by M__

The Baader/Zeiss one has a clear aperture of 34mm so If your eyepiece has a field stop of 34mm or less you shouldn't see any vignetting.

That surprises me Mick. I thought it would be much bigger in the expensive one.

Any chance of a link to that info please?

It ideally needs to be even bigger than the eyepiece field stop, especially with the rapidly converging light cone in a short focal ratio scope

You may notice Mick, they do a dedicated 3" focuser. (only $800)

And you know you want that ES 30 / 100 monster  ;) See how easy it is to spend $2500....?  :D

http://www.optcorp.com/explore-scientific-30m-100-degree-3-argon-purged-eyepiece.html

19736441918_24105daf2a_n.jpgUntitled-10-500x500 by

Don't need it Rob, the 120ED comes with a 3" focuser.

• Like 1

Baader Click-Lock ordered.

Maybe soon to be followed by a big amici prism :)

Thanks for your help everyone. :thumbsup:

Well done Pete that's next on my order list. Was it the cream coloured one.

Also which Amici are you after.

Well done Pete that's next on my order list. Was it the cream coloured one.

Also which Amici are you after.

This is all I have for now, it should prevent the problem of heavy eyepieces causing the diagonal to slip round...

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/baader-click-lock-2956256-m56-celestron-skywatcher.html

As for prisms, I am torn between these two...

http://www.365astronomy.com/William-Optics-90-degree-Erecting-Prism.html

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p7952_Baader-2--90--Zenitprisma-mit-Prisma-von-Carl-Zeiss.html

It would be nice to see everything the right way round as per the star maps.

The WO is £209 and has a 40mm clear aperture which may slightly vignette my 44mm field stop on the ES 25mm.

The Baader Zeiss at £110 extra, should be better quality but only has a 34mm clear aperture. It does have the Click-Lock for the eyepiece which is nice.

Maybe the vignetting would be minimal and of course would only affect one of my eyepieces.

Maybe I wouldn't notice any difference between the two.

Maybe I should forget it and stop spending :lol: .

The first buy is great, I want one as they fit the 120ED

Decisions decisions for the diagonals. They both have good points and honestly I can't pick a winner.

The Baader Click-Lock arrived today.

It was well packaged in a smart looking glossy Box with "Baader Planetarium Aiders In Astronomy" written all over it.

This looks to be superbly engineered and feels good and solid. Very impressed with the engineering. It does the intended job perfectly.