• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Fitness Thread.

M.

Ok, just thought I would start a thread for forum members for anything fitness related.

I'm a keen runner, predominately treadmill but in recent time I've been hitting the road.

I log my runs with the Garmin forerunner 220, so if any other runners want to have a friendly mileage challenge or need the motivation etc I'm happy to help.

My goal is to get my weight down to 12st, currently 13st (approx 82kg)

Please please, keep the foul language down.......

Exercise? Isn't that what priests do?

Ok, maybe this thread was a poor choice and I should have run with "cosmology inspired tattoos" instead lol

Then again that would go in astro chat :P

I used to do a lot of hill walking before I got ill, now just walk the dogs, sometimes go bird watching, so that's a few miles walking. I find it a bit of a struggle but the doctor keeps harping on about exercise is better then medication.

I try to keep active.

I'm a keen runner. Used to do half marathons when younger, then had a break for 20 years.

Started back in my early 40's doing 5 And 10k's

Have more recently been into Parkrun (5K) but am now getting past it, and seem to be constantly injured.

My knees are shot, and i really need to get some weight off before i run again.

Still do gym 2 or 3 times a week (a necessity with this hobby humping mounts & heavy refractors around !! )

Also enjoy getting on the mountain bike when i can....

I swam 30 lengths today, 40 yesterday! Sunday I just managed my 10,000 steps, half of it in the back garden for six hours mowing the lawn, cutting hedges (and hedge trimmer cables :facepalm: ), chopping down tree branches and disposing of the waste to the tip. Really worked up a sweat! The other half of the steps I was walking the dogs round the park. All monitored on my phone.

I'm a fitness fanatic ;) .

I swam 30 lengths today, 40 yesterday! Sunday I just managed my 10,000 steps, half of it in the back garden for six hours mowing the lawn, cutting hedges (and hedge trimmer cables :facepalm: ), chopping down tree branches and disposing of the waste to the tip. Really worked up a sweat! The other half of the steps I was walking the dogs round the park. All monitored on my phone.

I'm a fitness fanatic ;) .

I'm just a student layabout now, so need the exercise away from the books. It's why I'm up so late now, got assignments and deadlines coming up!

Swimming is good exercise, better on the joints too I think.

I try to keep active.

I'm a keen runner. Used to do half marathons when younger, then had a break for 20 years.

Started back in my early 40's doing 5 And 10k's

Have more recently been into Parkrun (5K) but am now getting past it, and seem to be constantly injured.

My knees are shot, and i really need to get some weight off before i run again.

Still do gym 2 or 3 times a week (a necessity with this hobby humping mounts & heavy refractors around !! )

Also enjoy getting on the mountain bike when i can....

Nice.

Same here, wrecked my knee in just the few years that I've been serious running.

I like to run outdoor min 5k but was beasting the treadmill and doing way too much. I got rid of my last treadmill, had 3 including a semi commercial one that I destroyed lol

I've never run an event, which is something I'd like to do. I've run a half marathons on a treadmill but rarely make it past 10k outdoor.

I find the running watch to be good motivation, maybe get a cross trainer to start off? I found them good for weight loss, I was 18st about 6 years back.

Ooooooh I come back to the forum after some time off and find a thread on fitness :D  Haha....well, being a Zumba instructor :wub: ...I can add in to this :P  I do 2 Zumba classes a week, plus 2 PT sessions down the gym where i'm now doing 60kg squats (yay go me, i'm such a wimp!) add in another hour cardio at the gym per week, or I go out running. I never ever thought I would ever run, you know....OUTSIDE. But here I am, first run out I do 5k, I'm happy with that B) I'm aiming for at least 5k every time i'm out, not got any running goal in mind though. 

I built my own "shym" (shed+gym) which is a fully insulated 15m2 building at the bottom of my garden where I do my weights. I have a powercage which is an all in one squat rack, bench press, hip dip station, pull up station with lay pull down weight stack that also has cables to the floor level for back work. I also have trx bands attached to it to do bodyweight work.

I like to run too but have been off the running for a bit as I hurt my knee. At my best I managed 5k in 19mins 59s. Takes me about 25mins nowadays as I run so infrequently.

Yeah but a 4 minute kilometer ain't the same as a 4 minute mile .... is it though? hahaha :lol: :lol:

True Kim but there aren't many who can/have run sub 7 minute miles in their lives comparatively.

My fastest mile is 9.07 - pretty slow tbh! I have only been out twice though so i'm working on it :)

5:36 for 1 mi, but I like to run long distance, consistent 6:00 pace just isn't possible unless you're an athlete lol

I think my ave. pace is about 8:70 according to the GPS watch.

I built my own "shym" (shed+gym) which is a fully insulated 15m2 building at the bottom of my garden where I do my weights. I have a powercage which is an all in one squat rack, bench press, hip dip station, pull up station with lay pull down weight stack that also has cables to the floor level for back work. I also have trx bands attached to it to do bodyweight work.

I like to run too but have been off the running for a bit as I hurt my knee. At my best I managed 5k in 19mins 59s. Takes me about 25mins nowadays as I run so infrequently.

That's good going really, let's be honest an average 5k jog is to be enjoyed and most will do it (including me) in around 23 - 26 min.

My fastest mile is 9.07 - pretty slow tbh! I have only been out twice though so i'm working on it :)

I think the average user pace on Nike+ when I used it for logging runs was around the 10 minute mile.

I think a slower jog but instead increase the distance is much better.

Good grief : why do you guys all run in miles / mins per mile.

Ditch the miles and run in Kilometres. You'll find they go by much quicker.

If i'm injury free (rarely) i can do 5min / km pace.  Not bad for a fatty.... :facepalm: