• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Electric heaters, infrared patio heaters etc.

Ok, so soon enough the winter months will be upon us and for us peasants that don't have a proper enclosed obsveratory :P it's going to be cold! Is any one here using conventional 2kW heaters to keep warm or for dew prevention purposes, when say out in the back garden?

not really as they dont go well with star gazing, lots of hot air rising etc.  Just put on loads of layers and

plenty of tea :D and of course have dew heaters

As Sheila said hot currents really do affect the seeing conditions.

Wrap up warm, it's something you are just going to have to get used to.

I'm envious of some of the lucky people in other countries who regularly get mag 7 skies, and can often observe wearing a T shirt.

Sometimes we have to really wrap up like we are trekking across Antarctica. It may not be quite that cold, but when we are out observing, we are not excercising or generating much of our own heat. Just standing still and losing heat!

Yeah echo the above comments, hot air currents near optics is not a good mix.

I wear thermal base layers that are designed for arctic dry suit diving. Not that I have ever done that activity I actually bought them for winter skydiving as it can get to minus 20-30 at 15,000. I don't tend to do winter jumping anymore as I have become more experienced in that hobby-I'm more a fair weather jumper now.

Also I have built a roll off shed that I push back across the decking. Now I stand in there with the laptop on a fold down shelf and the wires go through the floor out and up the pillar to the mount. It isn't roomy but it is a definitely improvement on standing out there when I am doing planetary imaging. Otherwise if I am not or if I want to am out there anyway with the binoculars having a scan around for open and glob clusters.

2 layers of socks

2 layers of gloves

Furry hat

Insulated fishing suit

Heaviest and warmest boots you can get

No heaters

I remember imaging in the observatory the other year and the thermometer inside was -18

Sorry but the cold is a cross we have to bare for most of the year in the UK