• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

GALAXY NGC7713

Guest IWOODY1969

Guest IWOODY1969

HI, MY NAME IS IAN FROM GAINSBOROUGH,THIS IS MY FIRST VISIT TO YOUR SIGHT,I HAVE JUST PERCHACED A PAIR OF CELESTRON  SKYMASTER 20 TO 100x70 BINOCULARS PLUS TRIPOD, AS A PREFERENCE TO A TELESCOPE,SO I WOULD LIKE SOME FEEDBACK AS TO MY DISICION .                                        ON A DIFFERANT POINT I HAVE JUST BOUGHT A GALAXY FOR MY WIFE TO CELABRATE OUR 25th WEDDING ANNIVERSARY THE GALAXY IN QUESTION IS NGC 7713,BUT HAS NOW BEEN OFICIALY RE-CLACIFIED AS "NGC ELAINE 70" AFTER HER DATE OF BIRTH,IT ALSO CARYIES THE POEM"I COULD HAVE BOUGHT YOU A SINGLE DIAMOND BUT INSTED I GOT YOU 200 BILLION"  all my love Ian XX

Hi Ian 

Welcome to EMS

Many people start observing with binoculars, they give a very wide view and are excellent for clusters, galaxies and just general panning around the sky. 

Ngc 7713 is an actual galaxy in the constellation of Sculptor so sorry to burst your bubble but it will not be known as Ngc Elaine 70, I hope you bought this as a tongue in cheek present and didn't spend a lot of money, nice thought though.

Edited by Doc

Hi Ian and welcome to EMS :)

You'll find most amateur astronomers have one or more sets of binoculars - some objects are better viewed in bins than a scope (e.g the Beehive cluster M44).

Have fun and feel free to ask any questions in the beginner section - someone will be along with an answer soon.

Welcome to EMS Ian,

Good idea to start with a set of bins, take your time with choosing a scope, there are a lot of options out there!

Do plenty of research and try and determine what you want to achieve with it. If you get the right scope first off then you stand a chance of getting to see what you want to and it will spur you on to get deeper into this great hobby.

Cheers!

Hi Ian, a warm welcome to EMS.

A tripod will probably be your next purchase, as they will feel a bit heavy after a while. Either that or a clean yard brush stood the wrong way up so you can rest your elbows on it.

Let us know how you get on with them.

Enjoy the forum. :)