• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Adapting a solar filter to fit a smaller tube?

Seamaster

Hi,

I have a decent Ali framed solar filter but it was bought to fit my now long sold Mak127.

It is too large for my 102 refractor, even with the small amount of adjustment it has on the retention lugs.

I have tried selling it on here and on Astronomy buy & sell but sadly to no avail.

Therefore my question is can anyone suggest a safe and simple way of making an "adaptor" to create a snug fit onto my 102 tube?

I have made a very shoddy looking wrap around to pad out the gap but although it does work it looks awful and can be fiddly to fit and remove the filter.

I appreciate that caution must be applied and I won't take any chances but there must be a way?

High density foam perhaps?

Thanks

Neil.

It depends on how much larger the filter is than the scope you are thinking of putting it on. It may be possible to drill and tap the sides and then use long nylon bolts to take up the slack and secure it to your current scope.

I suspect that Graham might already have a trick up his sleeve.

Whatever you do with the filter, it is always worth checking and double checking that it is fixed securely before looking through the scope. And check for pinholes before fitting it as well. Can't take any chances with the sun.

How much extra adjustment do you need? You could sleeve over those lugs with various things such as rubber hose etc. B&Q sell all manner of hose off the roll that might help. Just make sure it's good and snug when you have done, both on the lugs and in terms of gripping the scope.

We get flocks of small birds doing dam buster runs with small stones all the time round here lol. :lol:

You wait until the seagulls start, they are just robbing folks at the moment, but when they pick up a rock no scope will be safe. :lol:

Seagulls :nonono:  

Watch out for when the Swans start. :lol:

Still we must be grateful the Ostrich cannot fly.  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

Oh yes the adapter  :facepalm:

Neil Can you let me have the OD of the 102 and the ID of those lugs.

How much extra adjustment do you need? You could sleeve over those lugs with various things such as rubber hose etc. B&Q sell all manner of hose off the roll that might help. Just make sure it's good and snug when you have done, both on the lugs and in terms of gripping the scope.

Smart idea Mike. 25mm O/D sleeves should do it.

So to get back onto the OP, Neil, there have been a few suggestions (from Mike) but Graham is asking for the OD of the 102 and the ID of those lugs.

If you get those, Graham may be able to help, or you could try Mikes idea.

Thanks guys, I will confirm the dims and let you know.

I hadn't thought about increasing the thickness of the lugs tbh, just on packing out the tube end so that's a good idea!

Hi Neil

This is a Nylon adapter ring for you.

Simply remove the studs and screw this to your Aluminium filter using the same holes the studs came out of then push it over the end of your scope.

Being soft Nylon it will not damage your scope.

Are you going to Kelling ???

2015-09-01%2016.42.16.jpg

Edited by Graham
  • Like 2