• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Explore Scientific Lightweight Dob.

M.

What are members thoughts on this?

I think it's available in 10" 12" and 16" and the 10" model is less than £600

I kinda like it, not sure how that sheet metal base will hold up though :/

image.jpg1_zpsmstz0lly.jpg

Being a dob user myself and after looking at the specs, I can see nothing really to worry about.

The central obstruction of the secondary mirror appears to be slightly larger than other manufacturers but I`m only talking about a 1-2% size increase (next to nothing really).

Oddly, the focuser is on the opposite side to most other dob manufacturers, not that it is an issue, it is just I have only ever seen the focuser on the left hand side, just an observation, will make no difference.

Build quality looks good and the truss design is on par with other makes and models, I`m not sure what glass they use in their scopes, will find out later when I have more time but I cant imagine it will be cheap stuff, if its anyhting like their EP's it will be good.

It comes with a 10:1 reduction focuser so thats good right out the gate and according to some specs I found comes in at a decent weight and packs away into 2 carry cases, so that sounds managable as well.

Light shroud is a must to wrap around the truss design but can be easily purchased or made.

With regards to the metal base, I would not worry, depending on if you want to use setting circles ETC in the future, the base will need modding anyway to accept leveling feet, sure it may get scratched on the bottom but you will never see that so i wouldnt worry.

When looking to upgrade my dob I would certainly look into Explore Scientific dobs.

HTH?

Thanks.

I have decided that my C8 will be for back garden use only, and I have dug a foundation out for a simple brick pilar. If I want to go to dark sites I'm going to need a second scope, so I thought about getting a dob of sorts.

I like the price of this, prefer it to the Meade lightbridge too.

A shroud would help no end, it might be worth looking if one of those is available. If not, then having one made is probably an option.

Ibbo and myself had one made out of neoprene. Ibbo's dog just loved chewing his. :D

I love the way it all fits into a single box, very neat and easy to transport unlike the Lightbridge which is a big bulky lump.

Anyone know what the wavelength is on their mirrors, I can't find it anywhere, granted im on my phone which is useless for tinternet searching.

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone know what the wavelength is on their mirrors, I can't find it anywhere, granted im on my phone which is useless for tinternet searching.

I had a quick look, but could only find the info on their 12" model and I'm not sure on the formula, but I will have a look unless a more knowledgable member can put me out of my misery lol

1/8th wave is what Synta put out in the basic Sky Watcher Dobs. 

!/4 wave is what is considered the very basic of what is acceptable for visual use.

For that  price I would suspect it has Chinese mirrors in it. That said, for the price, if it turns out the views, then why not.

I've read on the net that these scopes do have some build quality issues, likened to 'flat pack' in some respect.

I think it relates to the fittings and some fears that the mirror could fall out, or come away :/

Edited by M__

• 2 weeks later...

Do we think this scope is better than the 10" aperture £415 skywatcher dob? Is the extra £150 for the 10" explore worth it?

Edited by M__

I assume your looking at the solid tube 10" skyliner at that price, the flexi tube is another £100. I can't comment on the explorer but I do have the 10" skywatcher skyliner and I love it. I've had some amazing views with it and would highly recommend one. It's just the right size to lug about on my own. The Base sits in the boot and the scopes lays nicely across the back seats. I picked mine up second hand from astrobuy and sell for £250. Your welcome to have a look at mine sometime. And of course if you go for the skywatcher you can copy Daz's setting circle mod like I did☺

I think these are really nice, convenient, and lightweight scopes, but...

Being aluminium, they will be less easy to mod. A wixey would fit, but an azimuth circle would probably take quite some extra engineering.

With all the general light pollution in the UK (unless you are at a really dark site), you will definitely need a good light shroud to avoid stray light causing lack of contrast. I don't think they sell shrouds ready made to fit this, so it would have to be a DIY job and would also need to cover the upper tube assembly.