• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Which laser collimator?

Tweedledee

I have a cheap laser collimator, which has done the job after a bit of faffing about. It has 7 brightness settings, but even the slightest movement or sometimes no movement causes the brightness to vary from invisible to blinding. I fiddled with the battery and eventually put a fresh battery in but still the same problem. So must be a dicky connection meaning I need to upgrade.

So, I'm looking for recommendations on which one to get and why please.

The Hotech is the one!! It is far superior to most of the others although it cost more it is well worth it!

Ron

Thanks everyone.

Pity that the 2" is 10 to 15 working days delivery from FLO.

Anyone know where the 2" is in stock?

My pockets aren't deep enough for Howie Glatter.

The Glatter is not that much more..........its the green one that is a bit pricy.

I like the cross hair laser, the 2" self centering fitting and the larger target on the hotech.

Thanks Ron. Widescreen don't show hotech on their website. I will have a look at the other vendors from the IAS show.

Edited by Tweedledee

Thanks Ron.

I could get the 1.25" version, but it's the 2" I want. After trying everywhere it looks like I will have to wait for FLO to get one in 10 to 15 days. Found one at AstroshopEU, but after shipping and conversion from euros they want about £55 more than FLO!

You can borrow mine on Friday if you want matey, it's the single dot hotec rather than the cross hair but it is 2"

I have the Howie glatter now that I have a truss Cassegrain style scope but when I had the 200p I had a hotech and they are awesome. Plus they are easy to collimate via the small Allen bolts so you can ensure that your collimator is always collimated [emoji4]

Crikey, looks like I'm going to have the best collimated scope at EMS4 after having all those lasers through it :)  :thumbsup: .

Thanks everyone :2thumbsup:

Just to add another (cheaper) option for you Pete, I have a Badder MkIII laser collimator and that and a Cheshire work great.

After collimating my scope at Kelling I borrowed Micks Hotech and mine was only a fraction out, unnoticeable for visual use.

Granted would love a Hotech but have better stuff to spend my cash on.

Just another option for you.

:)

Edited by Daz Type-R

It doesn't have to be an expensive Barlow, a cheapo plastic SW one works, it's there just to spread out the laser light, what you see is a reflected image of the doughnut coming back, this is what you  centre.

Cheers Darren, I'm set on the 2" cross hair Hotech now, with everything self centred, since I will be doing quite a bit of collimation with a truss dob.

Try the Barlowed laser technique as well, that duff collimator will do just fine for that. It's a quick and accurate way of collimating a Dob.

http://www.obsessiontelescopes.com/learning_center/collimation/

Lots of useful info on that site, thanks Martyn. A barlow could be a useful addition and might help stop me buying eyepieces :) .

It doesn't have to be an expensive Barlow, a cheapo plastic SW one works, it's there just to spread out the laser light, what you see is a reflected image of the doughnut coming back, this is what you  centre.

If I get a barlow I want a good one to use with eyepieces as well, so it will be expensive :o