• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

EQASCOM and Maxim problems.

Graham

Where to start with this one,  :facepalm:

I have been using Eqascom for many years now along with CDC without any major problems.

I set myself up a sky map  by the normal centring on a star and syncing in CDC.

This meant getting an imaging session started was a matter of un-parking the mount and then sending it off to a given target. This target would be in the vicinity of the centre of the chip so a slight adjustment for the framing and I was off.

I have long used Maxim as the image capture program.

After watching Sheila and Stephen at Kelling I decided it was time to take the plunge and use Maxim for everything, thus giving me the advantage of using the plate solving facilities along with the click here to centre bit.

Now for the issues.

I fire up Maxim and connect direct to the mount from there via EQASCOM I do not start or use CDC at all.

When I send the mount to a given target say Vega using the go to in Maxim it is way off.

When I say way off I mean way off. Vega will not even be on the chip in fact I am lucky if it is even in the finder scope.

I then spend ages manually slewing it into the centre of the chip.

Once there I sync it.

If I check the Eqascom panel it shows up as being synced so I save it to my new Sky map I have set up for Maxim.

I then send the mount off to another star and again it is miles off.

Go through the centring and syncing process again.

Send the mount back to Vega and once again it is miles off. 

Can any one shed a little light onto this for me as I am fast running out of things to try.

Things like date, time, long, lat ect are all correct and identical in both Eqascom and Maxim.

I have all the parameters for my scope set up in Maxim.

Both systems are using the same J NOW clock.

Many thanks

Graham

Edited by Graham

Not sure how Maxim works (I'm using Main Sequence Pro) but I platesolve immediately on start up to make sure the co-ordinates are correct. Slew to target, chances are it'll be a bit off, so I then platesolve. Slew to target again and It'll be pretty much bang on.

off the wall thought have you got location in west instaed of east in maxim

with my fixed mount it is always off by about 1/2° in RA frrom park but once synced it is almost dead centre but that could be the map I have done in maxpoint, but your eqdir map should sort that out

Not sure how Maxim works (I'm using Main Sequence Pro) but I platesolve immediately on start up to make sure the co-ordinates are correct. Slew to target, chances are it'll be a bit off, so I then platesolve. Slew to target again and It'll be pretty much bang on.

Hi Leigh

Thanks for the response.

It is the slews I am having problems with.

For some reason it seems Maxim and Eqascom are talking to each other but in different languages  :rofl:

off the wall thought have you got location in west instaed of east in maxim

with my fixed mount it is always off by about 1/2° in RA frrom park but once synced it is almost dead centre but that could be the map I have done in maxpoint, but your eqdir map should sort that out

Hi Steve.

Did all settings from the scope so it should be right.

I have been reading the concise version of War and Peace that is the Maxim handbook and I think I might have discovered what is wrong.

Apparently when setting up and selecting the driver for connecting to the mount for the first time you must must must open the set up tab (properties) in the driver panel even if it does not need setting up.

This I did not do.  :nonono:  :nonono:  :nonono:

I just selected the Eqascom driver as per normal when I connect the mount without opening the properties dialogue box.

When I get a chance I will give it a go and see what happens.

Here's hoping 

Well touch wood as they say.

Opening the set up tab seems to have worked.

Last night I went back to the beginning and set it all up again.

Slewed to Vega, it was as expected a long way off but this time after I had centred and synced it all other slews were pretty close.

The more targets I synced on the better the accuracy got.

The true test will come on the next session to see if it remembers where everything is  :lol: