• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Patrick Moore

ricktom

Hi all

Noticed in a couple of astronomy magazines that Patrick Moores house and belongings were up for auction last week i think, not sure if its just me but it seems really sad, unless of course all his stuff goes to good homes, wonder what will happen to the house??

Rick

I went through the whole sale catalog in case there was anything I wanted to bid on. There were only one or two small astronomy items - it was mostly personal effects like furniture, silverware, cuff links, and jewelry etc. His car was left to a personal friend and eventually went to another motor auction site. Here's a link to an update from Brian May and a thread on SGL for anyone interested:

http://www.brianmay.com/brian/brianssb/brianssboct15a.html#07

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/254612-brian-may-on-patrick-moores-legacy/?hl=%2Bpatrick+%2Bmoore#entry2777545

:)

• Like 3

Thanks for this kim, really glad a lot of his books and other stuuf seems to be going to the Science Museum, what a pity something could not be done with his house.

regards

rick

Thanks for posting that, Kim. Brian seems to have done his old friend proud and it can't have been easy for him and the other executors. I just hope the house can pass on to someone who appreciates it as it is.

Wonder what happened to Ptolemy...

Alan

That's a good read on Brian May's website, glad he explained it and it seems to have ended the way Patrick wanted.. :) :)

I wonder why the likes off English Heritage or the National Trust buy the house, surely it's worth saving. 

Too difficult to do. I went there a few years back and it's not the easiest place to find (the road into Selsey is really twisty); there would be no space for visitor parking as the roads are narrow and it's a residential area. As Brian said, the important things are the artefacts, which will be more accessible to all at the Science Museum.

Alan

Thanks for the links Kim, very interesting that. Glad to see that the science museum is planning a "shrine" to PM.