• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Lights Out in Leicestershire!

Guest wisewoman

Guest wisewoman

Hey there,

So I work for the county council (no booing please!) and I was chatting to a colleague the other day. Apparently the county council have a 4-year plan which will result in the turning off of the vast majority of streetlights at midnight! You may have read that this idea has already been initiated in some areas, but the good news is that it will be phased in everywhere.

Lights that will not be turned off are at places like roundabouts and road humps.

The councils reason is of course financial - but it should make for some much nicer skies after midnight for us astronomers. Now we just have to become total night owls to make full use of them!

Melissa

Excellent news Melissa :)

Hinckley and Bosworth have piloted a similar thing around Groby and Ratby near me - it makes a considerable difference.

Good news there.

As you say it makes financial sense, and helps us to boot.

Would you consider working for Broxtowe, we might need you to bring us a bit of luck up this way.

That's great news the credit crunch pays off ! Funny isn't it what unexpected ripples seem to happen ?

Cool, I remember you telling me when we met at the walk in lol! Kyle's finger is much better, very bruised and battered (ripped ligaments) but thankfully not broken :) How's your girls shoulder?

• 2 years later...

Leicestershire County Council have now apparently decided to stop the programme of switching off lights, and to use LED lights instead:

http://www.hinckleytimes.net/news/local-news/council-invest-led-streetlighting-8137573

Will this automatically reduce light pollution in urban areas?

Not as much as switching them off.

The streetlamp near my house has stopped working :) .

I'd also be interested to know what the consensus is on the LP of LED's.

I would think they are generally better shielded than the older lights to cut off upward glare, but what about the frequencies?

Guest OurMikeGeorge

I googled it and found a few reports I didn't really understand about the negative effects of the frequency, glare and scatter from light reflected off the roads, but it was mostly American.

Got this from Wikipedia :( ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LED_street_light

Disadvantages of LED street lights
  • There is a main risk from glare. A French Government report published in 2013 agreed that a luminance level higher than 10,000 cd/m2 causes visual discomfort whatever the position of the lighting unit in the field of vision.[10]
  • The initial cost of LED street lighting is high and as a consequence it takes several years for the savings on energy to pay for that. The high cost derives in part from the material used since LEDs are often made on sapphire or other expensive substrates.[11]
  • LED street lights may make light pollution significantly worse in some areas as they are brighter than the lights that are being replaced and thus are increasing light pollution. According to one America study they may well exacerbate known and possible unknown effects of light pollution on human health[12]
  • The replacement of HPS street lighting with LED street lighting is leading to a major change in the colour of the urban sky glow. The higher blue content in LED lighting is likely to increase sky glow considerably affecting bird migration and disrupting diurnal animals.[13]
  • There is progressive wear of layers of phosphor in white LEDs, that with time lead to devices being moved from one photobiological risk group to a higher one.[10]

Guest Tweedledum

Pete, for us Mansfielders, you have seen what I have done to the lampost at the rear of our house which gives a dark garden. Andy was talking to two council workers replacing the light at the front, and they are coming down to 30 watts. Whenever they change the bulb at the back they have always ensured that the hammerited side is in the right place!!!

Sorry to be a spoil sport but i believe that street lighting is needed its just the way/when its used is wrong (IMHO). 

As some have said shielding to project light downward not in all directions should be used together with movement detection so that if the light is not required (no human presence) they switch off.  Even street/road signs could use movement detection (like the "your speed" sign's).

Don't forget even if the road lighting etc was switch off you would get extra glare from cars as they would use full beam more so unless you live in a Amish community or the top of a mountain I suspect the light pollution would be worse.

Especially BWM owners using those dam blue lights which blind they hell out of me when driving  :angry:

Perhaps we could do a deal with the Govt and say on clear moonless nights all lights should be switched off after 11pm and all houses/factories etc  invoke legal blackouts - hell it would only happen 1 or 2  nights a year  :lol:

There's already a white LED street light not too far from me, think I need to take a look through it with my Astronomik CLS clip filter to see if it's going to be made redundant!

Where I live I have a street light next to my garden fence and the council have changed it to switch off at midnight, great but would it not be just as good if councils instructed organisations to install lights that only light up the necessary area instead of the waste light pollution type currently used. I'm not sure if they are more efficient to run or what the financial issues are but they would certainly help.

Where I live I have a street light next to my garden fence and the council have changed it to switch off at midnight, great but would it not be just as good if councils instructed organisations to install lights that only light up the necessary area instead of the waste light pollution type currently used. I'm not sure if they are more efficient to run or what the financial issues are but they would certainly help.

At least turning off at midnight is a definite bonus and another option for others to suggest to their locaal council :)

So it is always worth having discussions with the council about the various options including shielding and turning off at midnight.