• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

M51, 2-4/4/13

glider

Here is my effort at M51. Its 7hrs worth of 5min subs, flats and bias collected over the space of 3 nights this week.

314L mono/SW 2" LP filter/ED80/HEQ5 Synscan guided with QHY5/ST80.

Stacked in DSS, deconvolution in CCDSharp, levels and curves in CS3, denoise in Neat Image.

M51-040413-1c-de_filtered_zpse126a019.jp

Enjoy.

Nice, plenty of whispy detail, interesting you use a SW LP filter, I might try mine, I didn't know if it was any good for imaging but looks ok from this

The Skywatcher LP filter is basically the same as the Baader Neo that costs more.  It's the only filter I use if I'm not doing narrowband. It's the 2" one so I can even use it with my Astro Mod'd Canon 1000D. No need for a clip in filter, again costing more money. For £26 it's a no brainer really.

Oh, not bad there Noel. :)

Nice faint detail, and a bonus galaxy chucked in for good measure. (NGC5169 I think)

very nice Noel, some very nice detail indeed

is this a cropped image Noel, or is it the camera sensor making the image bigger than my effort ? i could hardly see my little M51

It's cropped maybe 10% all round just to loose the overlap where my alignment from night to night was offset.

Very nice. Doesn't need RGB but if you do, well ...

I can't keep up with this section atm. So much stuff getting posted.

Sorry for not commenting earlier.

Regards.