• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Saturn 29/04 & 01/05

catman161

Not great images but I wanted to post something seeing as I stayed up so late on a "school night" :)

Had trouble getting focus (again!) and as a result didnt get to stack more than 200 frames for any of these images and in some cases way less!! Visually it was lovely tonight but in the camera it was like looking thorigh a dessert heat haze! All images from 1000 frame avis

Usual equipment:

200P on NEQ6 Pro, SPC900NC on a 2x Televue Powermate

Edited by catman161

I like the middle one - you've got the banding, and cassini division in the rings, and all in lovely colour. It's a good job Felix :)

Thanks for the compliments guys. I was really not happy with them though. It seems lately the sky is just looking terrible when I put the camera in. I don't know if it's to do with the fact that I started webcamming in depths of winter and that this is what is normal for this time of year or what?

Thanks for positive comments though, very much appreciated.

@graham I am using frame of 10.

Guest devil74

They are great shots Felix...I like the second and third ones especially. The cassini division is clearly visible..excellent.

(while were on the subject of pictures how do you post them as thumbnails like that?)

Thanks Damian :)

For the pics I just upload using the regular image uploaded bens the where you write your post and then once they're uploaded there's a small button that says "add to post" I just click that and the image link appears in the box where you write your post :)

Felix I found that knocking the frame rate down to 5 when using a Barlow in bad seeing helps a lot.

Cool, thanks Graham ill give that a try in the future. I hope the seeing will improve though. However with Saturn being so low I don't think it will.

Felix

Lovely work as usual. I'm still countless steps behind you, and you get out more than me too! I need to get my act together and try and catch up :)

Lovely pictures.

JD

Thanks James, as I said though am disappointed at the lack of useable data. To only get 180 frames out of 1000 means either my focus was bad or the conditions were or (most likely!) a combo of both, bad conditions and bad workmanship! I think as soon as you get that mount going you're gonna overtake me! ;)

Edited by catman161

I think it is going to take more than working out how the mount works to catch up with you. I've still got driver issues, lol. I might just get Virgin Media to install me a broadband socket at Wymeswold, as I seem to spend more time downloading stuff than looking through the telescope!

JD

Edited by dawson

Awesome images of Saturn Felix.   I hope you will get some better seeing conditions in the summer. There might be some occasions when the atmosphere is very still.  I understood that you get about 10 nights of excellent seeing in this country.  You got the Cassini division and some bands. That's excellent.  I never managed to record the Cassini div'n on film - all blurred into one ring on a 4 second exposure.  Your images are very inspiring.  I have the same/similar webcam and an 8.75" scope, so I'm going to try Saturn. Derek

Thanks Derek. My first attempts at imaging Saturn are better than these (IMO) and can be seen along with some shots I got of Jupiter the same night back in early April this year.

This is the thread from beginning of April:

http://www.eastmidlandsstargazers.org.uk/index.php?/topic/4565-/?&view=findpost&p=51232

Edited by catman161

they are not bad Felix,

i had a go at Saturn the other night, tried 3 webcams, one that takes 30 frames per second without losing data, a normal colour one and a modded 618 mono chip version, and i got nothing as good as yours, even after spending 90 minutes my captures were rubbish, so well done on what you have, i think it`s a fact that Saturn is fairly low on at the moment which doesn`t help and even though it`s been clear just lately the seeing isn`t as good as you think. 

Cheers rob :) I certainly find imaging Saturn more difficult than Jupiter for sure. I am a bit disappointed with myself for not getting I WW last night with the rest of the gang but I had to be up earl this morning to go skydiving and didn't want to be off my game die to fatigue!

Edited by catman161