• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Saturn and Mercury 02-06-2013

tbird

Not a great image but here's Mercury from yesterday evening at sunset

mercuryIR_02_06_2013_203921_g3_b3_ap1_zp

And what a difference the seeing conditions make, Saturn from last night.

Sat_IR_02_06_2013_223249_pipp_zps981e3c6

Both using Celestron c9.25 on NEQ6 pro, televue x2 barlow, QHY IMG0H camera. Saturn is about 1500 frames processed in PIPP, Registax 6 and final tweak in Photoshop.

Absolute blinder of Saturn! Love it! And mercury too! Hard target to get-really well done :)

Both look good. You can clearly see the phase of mercury, so I'd be chuffed with that! Saturn looks stunning too.

Thanks Tobias, Focus on Mercury was very difficult so I was pleased with any sort of image. The phase was just visible in the eyepiece.

That's the best Saturn I've done, I've been really struggling with it this year, still not happy with the colour I'm getting with the IMG0H. Might try capturing in B/W and debayering after.

Edited by tbird

Looks like it's missing something on the blue channel? Other than that it's great.

Edited by xanthic

Nice results Paul. Mercury is a difficult object at the best of times so you have done well to capture an image of it. Saturn is looking good. Have you tried the philips webcam on the 9.25 yet?

I can't seem to get on with the webcam now, tried last night but was over exposed

There are so few amateur images of Mercury through a telescope on the net and you managed to catch it at a smaller phase than I did last month. I will be reunited with my gear soon (coming home from a business trip today, hopefully). This is too late for Mercury but I have an idea for imaging Venus where I keep using the same set-up and compare the change in size and phase over a long period.