• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Delphinus Doubles - 02 Aug 2013

Guest Ely Ellis

Guest Ely Ellis

Hi all,

It has been a while since I managed to do anything with doubles. Every time it was clear I was away at work and when I get home, not a clear night in sight.

On the 2nd August I got the chance to set up and have a go at some more doubles. This time I focused on Delphinus and chose 10 doubles.

Out of these 10 doubles I only managed 6 of them, but got an extra pair that I hadn't planned on, so total of just 7. Of the ones I couldn't get, I don't know why, the primary's were good, but could not spot the secondaries, even though they were well spaced and of good magnitude.

Maybe I had some bad data or the secondaries had moved, I don't quite know.

I have now changed the naming format as there are that many different lists giving different names & numbers for the same stars dependent upon who catalogued them, so now I will use a comon name if it has one, if not the HIP number taken from Stallerium and follow up with the WDS catalogue number, this latter has the advantage of inculding the position of the double.

My list then:

HIP 101700A (WDS J20368+1444A) - an easy spaced double at 25" separation

γ Del (WDS J20467+1607A) - a close double with nice colour contrast

HIP 103537 (WDS J20585+1626A) - a wide triple

HIP 102490 (WDS J20462+1554AB) - a very close double only just split

HIP 102010 (WDS J20403+0326AB) - bright primary very dim secondary, just visible

HIP 101235 (WDS J20312+1116) - an easy spaced double again, 17" separation

HIP 100638 (WDS J20244+1935AB,AC) - a triple with faint secondary and barely visible third.

Images are posted on my website, which has been re-vamped to be much easier to read and follow.

http://www.cathprotech.talktalk.net/Astro/doubles_delphinus.html

Another change to my doubles is that I am now carrying out my own measurments of PA and separation useing reducing software. I can then compare my findings with other catalogues and I must say that they seem to be quite accurate.

Would appreciate any comments, thanks for looking.

Martin

L_2013-08-01_23-54-09_Gamma%20Del_0122_I γ Del

Edited by Ely Ellis

Guest Ely Ellis

Mike, Been at work, twice this tax year!

Back home for about another 6 weeks, so hopefully get some clear nights.

Mick, I did a small article about Delphinus as it is in a good location for the next month or two, so decided to get some doubles there.

Cheers

Martin