• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Jupiter and Europa 09-12-2013

tbird

Taking advantage of the excellent seeing last night here's Jupiter and Europa.

Celestron c9.25 / NEQ6 / QHY IMG0H / Televue x2 barlow

60 second AVI, captured 2500 frames in Firecapture, reduced to 2000 in Pipp and then best 1000 stacked in Registax 6.

Jup_IR_09_12_2013_235511_pipp_web_zpsbb3

Nice Paul. Lovely big image. Loads of detail.

I'm still learning about planetary imaging, but yours looks a bit like one of my old attempts (but yours is way better!). I found that my sensor was filthy, and for some reason the stacking software was trying to stack/align (not sure which) on the dust on the sensor, and not using the data from Jupiter itself. I get that feeling a bit from your image, as though there is a faint veil in front of the image. Looking closely there are a few lines which I've tried to indicate in the image below; I'm not sure if these are artefacts from stacking, or from artefacts on the sensor itself. Have you done any "flats" to see yourself if there are any obvious dust bunnies / other artefacts? Mine weren't visible when looking at the sensor with a magnifying glass, but when I looked at a diffuse white light via the laptop I could see hundreds of them. I've still not effectively cleaned them off. Just a thought, and as I say I am no exert on this, just telling you my story in case it helps you get crisper images.

Why only 60 seconds of AVI? You could, I believe, get 3 minutes or more without any planetary rotation causing trouble, and this would triple the number of frames you could stack which might help with sharpness / clarity.

But smashing shot. I just need better seeing and a better back.

James

jupes-lines_zps49a1c780.jpg

Great detail in that shot Paul. It was cleanish here last night when I got back from dinner with a couple of friends and I thought about maybe getting the scope out but there was a lot of high haziness as when looking at the moon it had a hazy halo all around it.

Hi James, there's is some dust on the sensor hence the artifacts, unfortunately I'm unable to shift it using the blower and I don't want to use any more aggressive means to clean it.

The reason I was only doing 60 secs was because the polar allignment was a little off and I was capturing ROI, Jupiter was drifting off the screen.

TBH I was in a bit of a rush to see what I'd got, I've got a disk full of avi's to process and a Moon mosaic to do yet

Ah yes, that looks really impressive now. Much crisper :)

Yes, grubby sensors are a pain; mine is still bad and I'm unsure what to do with it. Felix swears by cans of compressed air, so I may give that a go next.

James

Very nice Paul

a small nuclear device gets rid of the dust bunnies, downside the EMF wrecks the sensor

I use a rocket blower, but it takes at least 3 attempts, attempt 2 usually puts more crap on

Steve