• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Geminids 14.12.13

dawson

Heavily light polluted back garden trail, about 30 minutes at 4.30am today; Jupiter bright streak near the centre, Castor and Pollux above. Four meteors streaking away from the radiant. 240 subs, 10 seconds each, ISO 800, f/4, 19mm focal length, Canon 6d.

No processing, just stacking.

James

Startrails2vdsss_zps195f2863.jpg

Guest peepshow

I'm intrigued by the line of horizontal dots near the bottom.  Do you know what may have caused them?

That's a very wide angle lens you have there.

Guest peepshow

If it's strobing why is the  trail  continuous on the right hand side and not dotted ?

Also 3 dots are missing along the line of dots.

It's the phantom 'Nottingham dotter 'at work . :)

I've often noticed that the flashing lights on aircraft flash for 7 or 8, then miss a flash. The continuous bit of light may well have been before the aircraft turned so the headlights were pointing towards the camera.

It is a wide lens, but the stock canon lens is 18--55mm; this wasn't that lens and it was on a near full frame camera so may look wider.

James

It's probably down to the angle of approach of the aircraft, and this widens as it passes the camera.

I remember driving down the M25 one night, and looking west, there were countless aircraft all in a descending line from miles away.  These were all on the glide path into Heathrow.