• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Jupiter 14.12.2013

catman161

Last night (this morning) was better conditions that the 11th but still not great seeing, very turbulent but with some "smoother" moments. I enjoyed watching the geminids show whilst the mount was doing its thing. Definitely room for improvement still.

Equipment: 200P, NEQ6, TV 2x Powermate and ASI120MC, various number of frames out of 3000 (Again i cannot remmber the stack size sorry!)

11367516494_3be460446a_o.png
Capture 14_12_2013 01_34and36 Combined by Gattouomo161, on Flickr

11367584493_e3d4098911_o.png
Capture 14_12_2013 01_31and32 by Gattouomo161, on Flickr

11367584853_8fbf47494c_o.png
Capture 14_12_2013 01_18_and 20 combined by Gattouomo161, on Flickr

11367584863_9ff078652a_o.png
Capture 14_12_2013 01_18_37 by Gattouomo161, on Flickr

Thank you muchly all :) I hope we get some better conditions soon with much more stable seeing!

Yes that is nice.

I'm looking forward to the animation of a moon transiting, or just the planet rotating.

Jd

So I found another avi from the 14th and decided to run it through PIPP just to experiment really as I am not sure what I am doing with it. These pics are from the same Avi, best 2700 frames of 3000 but with slighlty different settings in PIPP and different wavelet adjusting in Registax 5.1. Comments welcomed :)

11407354563_5c2d478c03_o.png
Capture 14_12_2013 01_40and41_pipp by Gattouomo161, on Flickr

11407237584_212b191d54_o.png
Capture 14_12_2013 01_40and41_pipp2 by Gattouomo161, on Flickr

Edited by catman161

Love the pics Felix.

They seem a bit 'bright' having never used an AS11 was just thinking if you could drop the exposure, gain or brightness or what ever the camera uses it might allow you to pull out more detail with the wavelets in Registax.

Just a thought. :)

Guest Tweedledum

Hi Felix,

Great shots, have you tried running through photoshop (le or light) and carfully adjust the unsharp tool. ( I used radius of 1.5 pixels)

Love the pics Felix.

They seem a bit 'bright' having never used an AS11 was just thinking if you could drop the exposure, gain or brightness or what ever the camera uses it might allow you to pull out more detail with the wavelets in Registax.

Just a thought. :)

Thanks Graham :) Gain was only set to 18 to keep noise down an exposure was only on 0.065 to ensure image was actually showing on live screen. The brightness is done in processing in PIPP and Registax. As I said I haven't used PIPP before so just experimenting really.

Hi Felix,

Great shots, have you tried running through photoshop (le or light) and carfully adjust the unsharp tool. ( I used radius of 1.5 pixels)

Cheers Damian. I have PS CS2 but am not really sure how to use any part of it if I am honest let alone specific tools within the program-it's so complicated! :D

Felix

could you post up a link to the AVI pre PIPP or could you send it to me so I can have a play.

Sure, I'll whack it on Dropbox when I get a sec Graham and post a link :)

Will do Steve, as far as I've found it doesn't do much but I am sure that is most likely due to my own ineptitude!

I've put the last couple of runs through it and I'm not sure it achieved anything

I'm sure there is some help out there some where

Guest Tweedledum

Felix,

Load your image into CS2 or PS lite / elements. Click on filters, click on sharpen, click on unsharp mask. Basically increases contrast between pixel boundariess, use judiciously though!! (and always do after you have done any other processing and saved original)

Found these :--

http://content.photojojo.com/tutorials/photoshop-sharpening/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otyqT95bi9w

I have run my avi's through PIPP and reduced the number of frames to about 80%

it crops and sorts the frames into quality order and outputs a steady avi that I then ran through AS2 ran focus magic and then into PS a run of unsharp masks at 10% and radius of 1 (I did 10 iterations of unsharop mask)   combine ,levels to balance colour ,tweaked a couple times ,upped saturation and increased contrast ,upped the blue  final vouple of unsharp masks and a final guass blur of 0.3

I have used wavelets instead of unsharp masks   but that requires opening and saving from another program

I am sure PIPP can do more to pre sort the avi

looking again at what I've been doing it looks as though I've been upping the saturation a bit much

Edited by Ibbo

Further playing with separate rgb stacks once put through PIPP then stack  AS or Registax
(I like AS2 as I can get it to work reliably in batch mode)

I have found with my images wavelets are the next option in Registax 6 I tend to use 4 & 5 with a de noise of 10 or 15

then into PS to combine the colour image and balance the colour using levels, contrast adjust, colour adjustment  (upping the b a little) focus magic (as a gentle decon filter )  and final Gaussian blur

Felix

could you post up a link to the AVI pre PIPP or could you send it to me so I can have a play.

Hey Graham,

Sorry it has taken a while heres the dropbox link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/b3dz2f6jvrl6lf5/Capture%2014_12_2013%2001_40and41.avi

Felix,

Load your image into CS2 or PS lite / elements. Click on filters, click on sharpen, click on unsharp mask. Basically increases contrast between pixel boundariess, use judiciously though!! (and always do after you have done any other processing and saved original)

Found these :--

http://content.photojojo.com/tutorials/photoshop-sharpening/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otyqT95bi9w

Thanks for this Damian,

Here is the the original:

11407354563_5c2d478c03_o.png

Capture 14_12_2013 01_40and41_pipp by Gattouomo161, on Flickr

and here it is after doing the unsharp mask trick:

11454780975_b574e5e4a0_o.png

Capture 14_12_2013 01_40and41_pippwithunsharp by Gattouomo161, on Flickr

I think it has helped a little, cheers :)