• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Moon from 09/12/2013

xanthic

I didn't post this initially as Graham had posted a great image on the same day, but I'd thought should show what a cheaper camera can do.

I captured this on with my QHY5-II. I had bought the camera for guiding but I decided to give it a try on the Moon. I used Firecapture the take the avi, went back inside to sort out some cables and forgot how long it had been running. I ended up with 3900 frames(!) so I ran it through PIPP to sort on quality and leave me with 800. I did initially try with 1200 but Registax wouldn't load it. The first image is stacked and waveleted in Registax 5. Slightly processed in Paintshop. The second image I did with AutoStakkert (just to try it out really), then sharpened in Paintshop. I'm not sure which I prefer. I may try again with a Barlow and attempt a mosaic at some point.

Registaxed

Moon_reg09122013.jpg

AutoStakkert

Moon_AS09122013.jpg

Edited by xanthic

great captures,

those little qhy5 II cameras a very nice little things, was it the mono version ?

to me the first one looks alittle more natural but the detail in the second image stands out more

great captures,

those little qhy5 II cameras a very nice little things, was it the mono version ?

to me the first one looks alittle more natural but the detail in the second image stands out more

Yes, this is from the mono version. I wasn't sure which one to get, as I do fancy doing a bit of planetary too. The larger chip won the day, which I thought would be better as it is primarily for guiding.

As ever, beauty is in the eye of the beholder :)

I am pleased with the results. Not sure if I am ready to go for a filter wheel yet though for planetary... :unsure: