• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Moon - 09/01/2014

xanthic

My first moon of the year. A slightly later phase than the one I captured last month. Imaged with QHY5-II, stacked in AutoStakkert and processed in Paintshop.

Moon_140955_g3_b3_ap7.jpg

Love that one....

I tried pointing my newish Nikon at the Moon for the first time last night but the result was total rubbish.

Me thinks the camera is trying to be too clever and not enough manual options but then I did buy it before my re-interest in astronomy.

Cheers

Adrian 

Point and shoot cameras are great in daylight but often don't work so well for subjects like the moon. Also, it'll probably look tiny in the field of view. You could try Fireworks mode if it has one. The other option is to use it afocally - point the camera at the eyepiece of your scope. You can get surprisingly good results for some subjects. Here's one I took with my camera phone last year -

2013-03-19%2020.26.26.jpg

Point and shoot cameras are great in daylight but often don't work so well for subjects like the moon. Also, it'll probably look tiny in the field of view. You could try Fireworks mode if it has one. The other option is to use it afocally - point the camera at the eyepiece of your scope. You can get surprisingly good results for some subjects. Here's one I took with my camera phone last year -

2013-03-19%2020.26.26.jpg

Thanks. I'll give that a try. The camera is a Nikon S9500 compact which has a 18M CMOS sensor and 21x zoom.

I can change quite a few things except the focus which seems to be struggling and gives a blurred image.

Will experiment further...

Adrian

Well Leigh I gave it a try again tonight.

This is what I got when I pointed the handheld Nikon S9500 at the Moon on max optical zoom, having changed some of the settings such as Scene to Sunset and max negative Exposure Compensation. By the way the Fireworks setting didn't work for handheld and just gave a streaked image due to the long exposure. I'll use the tripod next time...

Well I know the result is not brilliant especially when compared to your Images (or any others on here}, but I was surprised after my efforts of the other night that just gave a flared out disk. and this is my first attempt.

I feel some new equipment such as camera and scope coming along but a lot of research and meeting up with the experts first. So no panic but imaging is interesting me right now.

Cheers 

Adrian

Moon%20110114.jpg

Guest devil74

That is a cracker Leigh...you get some cracking pics.

The dark really brings the craters to life, like you reach out and touch it.

Love that one Leigh, see you have Adrian on the slippery slope to the dark side.

Adrian, try shooting the moon at twilight, so there still some light in the sky, this way it doesn't give the light meter such a hard time. You will still get some good detail. Use a tripod, so you don't get any vibrations in it.