• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Adventures with an Altair Astro 6" RC

Guest johnrt

Hello everyone!

Some of you may have seen some of these from another forum, but I thought I join up over here on EMS too.

This is a little showcase thread of my adventures with the Altair 6" RC OTA during 2013, an imaging scope which I believe is hugely underated. It took a lttle getting used to and needs a good reducer, I use an Astro Physics CCDT67 to brink it down to a 920mm f/6, which is more than useable for DSO imaging.

My images are all taken with an Atik 314l+ camera, I use an IDASLP2, Baader LRBG and Astrodon narrowband filters. The images are all processed in Pixinsight and CS5.

I hope you like my images from 2013 and make you think twice obout the litle 6" RC that pack a puch well abouve it's weight.

John

Bok Globules in the Rosette

11300035436_6012b514a7_c.jpg

California Nebula 2 panel mosaic in Ha

11116034265_2594650300_c.jpg

Tadpoles in Auriga

10796135813_93a9758081_c.jpg

Melotte 15

10160745096_dac9aec1ac_c.jpg

Pacman Nebula

9989460034_9600a8d783_c.jpg

Coccoon Nebula

9608756307_35d9c59787_c.jpg

Rising Pillars of Gas in the Soul Nebula

9813677574_2ee1e1e8d3_c.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

Thank you both!

Apologies for the typos in my original post too, but I don't see a way of editing posts (I assume that the option is disabled).

Wow, those are incredible! :D

Thank you for sharing and please continue to do so - stuff like this blows the mind.  :thumbsup:

That's another WOW! from me too. That surely is a very nice little Astrograph. It's clearly in the right hands to do it justice.

Welcome to the forum John. Nice entrance lol :)

Thank you chaps. I have also found this as a good opportunity to look back over a years imaging work and plot for the year to come.

Thanks for posting.

Really enjoyed these stunning images - your efforts paid off.......

Do you have links to any more of your images?

Cheers,

Adrian

I love these, really stunning images.

Nice one John, it really shows what you can do with a bit of patience.

Superb images John - no one would believe a 6 inch scope - size isn't always everything (excusing Martyn's avatar above)!

Edited by fwm891

John, that is beyond doubt the best set of images I have seen to date with this scope. Absolutely beautiful. The star formation structures are so clear, and you've captured such tonality and depth. These 6" RC scopes do take a bit of adjustment and fettling, but at the price, they can and do deliver - in the right hands, congrats! Nick

Thank you again everyone! I have to agree with Nick, the price you pay for a new 6" RC is a bargain if you are prepaired to spend a little effort setting it up right. Paired with the CCDT67 reducer it is a killer imaging scope.

Think of the price of an equivalent 900mm f/6 triplet refractor, a minumum of x5 the price of the 6" RC!!!!

Nick I am liking the look of those new CEM iOptron mounts and wondering what would be possible with an 8 or 10"RC on one of them!! My bank manager however isn't so enthusiastic :)

• 2 years later...
Guest Coco
On 1/9/2014 at 15:45, johnrt said:

Hello everyone!

Some of you may have seen some of these from another forum, but I thought I join up over here on EMS too.

This is a little showcase thread of my adventures with the Altair 6" RC OTA during 2013, an imaging scope which I believe is hugely underated. It took a lttle getting used to and needs a good reducer, I use an Astro Physics CCDT67 to brink it down to a 920mm f/6, which is more than useable for DSO imaging.

My images are all taken with an Atik 314l+ camera, I use an IDASLP2, Baader LRBG and Astrodon narrowband filters. The images are all processed in Pixinsight and CS5.

I hope you like my images from 2013 and make you think twice obout the litle 6" RC that pack a puch well abouve it's weight.

John

Bok Globules in the Rosette

11300035436_6012b514a7_c.jpg

California Nebula 2 panel mosaic in Ha

11116034265_2594650300_c.jpg

Tadpoles in Auriga

10796135813_93a9758081_c.jpg

Melotte 15

10160745096_dac9aec1ac_c.jpg

Pacman Nebula

9989460034_9600a8d783_c.jpg

Coccoon Nebula