• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

DSS issues - vivid output file

dawson

Carrying on from my observing report, here is the data from my M82 imaging attempts.

This data is the output from DSS with no flats, and no tinkering after stacking.

Screen shot:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1673286/m82screenshot.jpg

Data:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1673286/m82noflats.TIF

Here is the old data with the flats, again no tinkering:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1673286/M82%20crap.TIF

JD

Edited by dawson

I can't work out the data; I think the CLS filter generates loads of problems for me as it makes everything look very cyan and I just don't understand processing enough to correct for that despite telling DSS to align the RGB at the end of stacking.

Anyway, here is a single 60second exposure taken at ISO 8000 on the Canon 6D; I've tried to indicate on one of the images where the supernova is.

IMG_5173editLB-marked_zps4a747436.jpg

IMG_5173editLB_zps6106379d.jpg

Thanks to Leigh for bringing out as much data as possible for a simple 60 second jpeg - you are the Daddy :)

JD

Edited by dawson

LP filters obviously alter the colour in the subs. There is a setting in DSS to compensate though. In Settings > Stacking Settings > Light Tab There is a drop down menu at the bottom that doesn't look like a drop down (maybe should get the author to fix that). Change it to RGB Channels Background Calibration. It'll give you a more neutral output and save a few steps in processing.

another thing i do with the dlsr image is to use deep sky stackers autosave image, it automatically saves an autosave image which is saved in the files folder and not the one you would save at the end of deep sky stacker, when processed they come out totally different, and i find the autosave version on dlsr images is better

Thanks both.

I'm sure the high ISO contributes to the grainy image. With it being faint, and it being a long focal length tube, being unguided, and having the light pollution filter on there was next to no data at ISO 1600.

I think Leigh has done a good job at bringing out what data is there, and I'm content for now that it at least shows what it is meant to show, even if it is technically a very ropey astro-image :)

JD

Guest AstroOlly
I can't work out the data; I think the CLS filter generates loads of problems for me as it makes everything look very cyan and I just don't understand processing enough to correct for that despite telling DSS to align the RGB at the end of stacking.

Anyway, here is a single 60second exposure taken at ISO 8000 on the Canon 6D; I've tried to indicate on one of the images where the supernova is.

IMG_5173editLB-marked_zps4a747436.jpg

IMG_5173editLB_zps6106379d.jpg

Thanks to Leigh for bringing out as much data as possible for a simple 60 second jpeg - you are the Daddy :)

JD

Hi James,

Do you have a modded DSLR, and use the CLS if you do then you have something wrong, but if your camera is NOT modded and you are using the CLS filter then that is your problem, the CLS filter is designed to be used only on a modded camera and you will!get near perfect colour balance! but on an unmodded camera you will get issues like you are seeing! especially with DSS as it does not cope at all with the shift in colour balance when using an unmodded camera and the CLS, I have been there and got the T shirt.

Hope that helps

Olly

Thanks Olly, yes, it's unmodded, but clearly Leigh has found a way around it. I am waiting for my tutorial :)

James

Guest AstroOlly

There are ways around it, my avatar Dumbell neb pic was taken with an unmodded canon and CLS, and I managed to process it out, but it is a struggle and much better to get the camera modded and spend much less time at the PC trying to get the colour correct.

Just my opinion as when you start doing much longer exposures it will get even harder to do

Olly

I use a CLS filter with my unmodded camera and don't have this issue. DSS usually does a good for me restoring the colour balance with the setting I mentioned above.