• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Flame and Horsehead nebulas

Guest ben72

with all this weather i finally got a chance to dust off the gear and have a stab at the Flame and Horsehead nebulas. pic looks a bit frosty as seeing wasn't great and it started to mist over towards the end but managed 20x5min subs.

12286619035_4124929b0b_b.jpg
Flame and Horsehead nebulas by rojobens, on Flickr

Edited by ben72

Lovely. Nice how that star beams straight out at you. It's quite impressive and very well framed.

The red looks slightly grainy on my screen. What ISO did you use, or is that the mist causing trouble?

Great stuff.

JD

Edited by dawson

Guest devil74

That's beautiful Ben...I'm no expert but the Horsehead is a brilliant target, it's my partners favourite too and she knows less than me.

Oh btw the diffraction spikes really add something to the shot..false tho they are I can see why some imagers actually want them.

Lovely. Nice how that star beams straight out at you. It's quite impressive and very well framed.

The red looks slightly grainy on my screen. What ISO did you use, or is that the mist causing trouble?

Great stuff.

JD

hi James,

i shot this at iso800 with a DSLR

this was a hard one to process, the right side of the shot is all Ha with almost none on the left. add to that the misty halos around the stars...... :wallbash:  i think i did alright but may have a tinker

Edited by ben72

Ben, it's a smashing image; i didn't mean too sound critical, sorry.

Jd

no no its fine mate, i welcome it.

would rather have honest replies than lies ;)