• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Tidal tail in the Triplet

Guest ollypenrice

Guest ollypenrice

Taken with guests Scott Findlay and Jonathan Briggs (Scott manned the capture) this used the double Tak 106/Atik 11000 to catch 12 hours of Lum (30 min subs) and 9 hours of RGB in 10 minute subs. This was done in two full nights and the tail end of another.

The galaxy cores come from an older image in the TEC140/Atik 11000 with more resolution.

Lots of data but the sky wasn't perfect and flattening the linear data proved to be really hard. You can't 'pop' the tidal tail until you have the image well flattened.

The tail is 300,000 lightyears long and contains starforming regions. Makes you think!!

Olly

Triplet%20Tidal%20Tail%20FinLHE-M.jpg

Bigger (click on it for fullsize)  http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Best-of-Les-Granges/i-KXg8ChM/0/O/Triplet%20Tidal%20Tail%20FinLHE.jpg

Edited by ollypenrice

I am not looking at any of your posts it just make me so  :censored: . :D

Stunning pics though  :notworthy:  :notworthy:

Superb image Olly, Scott and Jonathan.

Lots of data but it really does make a difference - the dual set-up is certainly getting some use

Nice - I've just got back from Tignes and saw what great skies you have there. Very jealous! :)

Smashing detail and contrast between the galaxies and the sky behind. Really great.