• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

New Telescope

ricktom

Hi everyone

my first telescope delivered Tuesday,

Skywatcher Evostar 120 EQ5 Telescope, slightly overawed, very excited, mostly confused (have looked at set up instructions) cannot wait to get outside with it, apologise for the obvious questions that will inevitably descend on you all, just wanted to share it with someone! 

Rick

well done on the first purchase Rick, any pictures ? always like to see peoples set ups 

Edited by red dwalf

Guest Tweedledum

Welcome to EMS Rick, Thats a nice scope. If you have not already done so download a planetarium program. Lots around but try Stellarium its great and free!!. To be found here http://www.stellarium.org/ . Also a couple of books to help 'sky&telescope pocket star atlas' and 'turn left at orion', these will help guide you round the sky.

Edited by Tweedledum

Excellent first scope Rick.

I started with a 70mm Refractor.

Is this the sparkly black tube with white lens cell, tube rings and focusser?.

Love to see a picture.

Paul

Beaut of a first scope. Welcome to EMS. You will quickly find it will fall into place after a few practice sessions. Check out Dion (from astronomy shed) YouTube video guides called "complete mount setup" series. They initially concentrate on driven mount but also cover non driven EQ mounts too. They helped me loads when I first got my NEQ6. However nothing helped more than actually talking to people in the flesh with the mount right in front of them so they could show me! So get to a dark site and get set up with the knowledgeable guys on here-the experience of some of the guys and gals on here is immense.

hi everyone

I will try to get a picture to show everyone over the weekend, yes its the sparkly black tube, I started to put it together last night, I am impressed by the build quality and finish in general of both the telescope and tripod, just a quick question for people (the first of many) when I align the finder scope and main scope and it says to focus on something at least 1\4 to 1\2 mile away is this distance really necessary as my garden is a bit enclosed by other houses and I am limited in the distant objects I have to focus on

Rick

Short answer is yes. Other wise the angle between them will affect the pointing accuracy. If it's clear tomorrow morning you could use the Moon if it's visible.

Thanks for all the tips, I managed to align the finder scope and main telescope on a television aerial as suggested (thanks) and managed to set it up without breaking it or me! cannot wait to get outside with on a clear night.

thanks again, I haven't forgotten a photograph.

Hi everyone

Just to let you know I had a wonderful view of Jupiter and its moons on Saturday with my new telescope , although it seemed a bit  hazy and cloudy at times I managed to get a really good view of the planet, I struggled a bit to get the focus just right at one point, when I put the higher magnification eyepiece in,  the image seemed to move every time I move the focuser back and forth as if the rack and pinion focusing mechanism was not moving smoothly but I think it was! I am going to try again as soon as I can, I cannot wait for a really clear night, I still think its amazing you are able to see something like Jupiter from your back garden

Guest fondofchips

Hi Rick & welcome to EMS.

Brilliant set up, I went for the EQ5 & a 4" refractor, just so easy to use.

Cheers,

Harry.

Thanks , 

Still trying to get out with it i have only been able to get out once since i bought it (good views of Jupiter and its moons) really frustrating at the moment but i am sure it will be worth it.

Regards

Rick  

Hi everyone

thanks again for the comments

had three brilliant nights with the new telescope, jupiter has been really brilliant,amazing detail.

mars was not so clear but i think it may be because of the heat coming off the houses after it was so warm on tuesday and i was looking at it through a gap in houses, I had trouble making out any detail at first but came back to it later and was duly rewarded( i did'nt realize just how much contrast in the colours there is) and as for seeing the full moon, i can only descibe it as stunning, amazing, magnificent (but i can see why you need a moon filter after watching a while) even the wife was impressed, i cannot wait to try and find a galaxy (does andromeda get higher in the sky as i have very bad view facing north?)

apologies for the ramblings of a newbe

Regards

Rick

Jupiter is the largest gas giant in the solar system Rick. Mars is by contrast a pea size - so there's your first consideration. Wait till it's high in the sky and at least it will give you a better chance of more detail. Yes hot air currents from the tube and between houses won't help - so allow for cool down time, and maybe try a slightly higher magnification.

M31 will be higher in the autumn so it's just a case of waiting for that one. And don't forget the least atmosphere is directly upwards - most is down towards the horizon. Everything else is in between. :)