• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

trouble installing wireless xbox 360 receiver, not any more ! simple fix

red dwalf

i`ve always liked using the xbox 360 wireless controller with eqmod to control my mount, but i`ve always had trouble installing it on a windows xp machine, it never finds the driver although i download and install it correctly from the microsoft website, it` almost ended in the bin a few times, and god knows how many hours i`ve wasted trying to get the thing to work.

i already had a controller that io swiped from my son so i bought a wireless receiver to go with it off flea bay, little did i know at the time that most of them are not official xbox receivers but copy's from china or somewhere like that, this is why they struggle to work properly.

well today i found a simple fix that i must share with anyone how has had the same trouble trying to install these things, 

i must say i`ve never had trouble installing it on a windows 7 pc only windows xp.

so if anyone interested here is the fix,

download the official drivers from the microsoft website,

install them to the pc,

now when you plug in the wireless reciever it won`t find the driver or install properly even if using device manager you show it exactly where the driver is, C \ PROGRAM FILES \ MICROSOFT XBOX 360 ACCESSORIES,

you need to change some of the information in the xusb21 setup information file,

to do this go to the microsoft xbox 360 accessories file and double click on the xusb21 setup information file, it should open in notepad,

look for all the vid and pid lines like these ( USB\Vid_045E&Pid_0719 ) and change the 0719 part to 0291, so it now looks like ( USB\Vid_045E&Pid_0291 ),

do this to all the lines that have 0719 in them and change the 0719 to 0291 and save and close the file, windows will say changes have been made, click ok,

now using device manager, right click on the yellow question mark and choose update driver, choose your own driver and direct the browse button to the c \ program files \ microsoft xbox 360 accessories folder and click ok,

drivers will now be recognised and the wireless reciever will work.

job done.

hope this helps someone. 

I've thought about setting up a controller since I used eqmod for the first time the other week. Thanks for this rob, good to know. My laptop is vista so not sure if I'll hve the same problems but useful nonetheless :)

Nice one Rob

Lucky I went down the expensive route and purchased an official wireless thingy.

If I had gone through what you have I would have binned it a long time before you.

Mind after last nights fiasco I have gone back to a wired controller

Hi Rob,

Thanks so much for this post. My wireless receiver arrived today and using the info in this post I managed to get it to work :) thanks again!