• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hi all!

Guest AstroStruck

Guest AstroStruck

Hi guys,

Just getting into the world of astronomy now (after 5 years of wanting a scope!). Very recently bought a Skywatcher Explorer 200P Newtonian with an HEQ5 Pro Synscan mount; also have a Canon EOS 650D [18-55 mm & 70-300 mm lenses] from before as I'm into photography, so hoping to get into imaging at some point. Already took a shot of the partial lunar eclipse on the 15th of April with just the 70-300 mm lens (no telescope), it turned out pretty decent!

I'll be observing from Leicester mainly; if anyone's from there, would you be able to advise me on areas with least light pollution? Especially as I'd like to observe the Lyrid meteor shower if possible!

Looking forward to getting involved in the EMS community!

Cheers,

Syed

Hi Syed, welcome to the forum  :)

Quite a few folk in your neck of the woods and Wymewold is the local dark sky site. Keep an eye on the meetings thread  :)

Cheers

Ron

Hi Syed and welcome.

As said, lots of members your way so keep an eye on the EMS Meets board. :)

I'm also into photography - what kind of stuff do you shoot?

Guest AstroStruck

Hi Syed, welcome to the forum  :)

Quite a few folk in your neck of the woods and Wymewold is the local dark sky site. Keep an eye on the meetings thread  :)

Cheers

Ron

Hi Ron,

Thanks for your reply, it's much appreciated! I'm actually not around Leicester all the time, so I doubt I'll be able to make the next meeting. Hopefully will try and make others later on!

Cheers,

Syed

Hi Syed and welcome.

As said, lots of members your way so keep an eye on the EMS Meets board. :)

I'm also into photography - what kind of stuff do you shoot?

Hi Craig,

Many thanks for your warm welcome! I'm into night sky and nature photography, e.g. macro shots of insects, flowers etc; also looking to get into landscape photography, but all in good time. I'm still fairly new to photography as I don't always have much time for it unfortunately, so still finding my feet. :) What about you?

Cheers,

Syed

I'm into all sorts. Landscape, event portrait, air shows, birds, wildlife, macro, a bit of racing, the other half's horse, anything really. :)

Guest AstroStruck

I'm into all sorts. Landscape, event portrait, air shows, birds, wildlife, macro, a bit of racing, the other half's horse, anything really. :)

Sounds great! Would you recommend the Canon 50 mm f/1.8 lens for portrait photography? Looking to add to my lens collection at some point soon. :) Also, any recommendations for a macro lens for shots of insects etc?

Guest AstroStruck

Welcome to the forum Syed :)

Thanks Felix! I see you've also got a 200P Newtonian; how has your experience been with so far?

Sounds great! Would you recommend the Canon 50 mm f/1.8 lens for portrait photography? Looking to add to my lens collection at some point soon. :) Also, any recommendations for a macro lens for shots of insects etc?

Yes. It's one of the best budget lenses you can buy and it produces amazing quality images for its price tag.

A must-have for a start-up bag IMO. :)

Hi Syed, a warm welcome to EMS.

Looks like your wallet going to take a battering with these two hobbies. 

Enjoy the forum. :)

Thanks Felix! I see you've also got a 200P Newtonian; how has your experience been with so far?

It's been great :) Started life as a dobsonian and then I took the Tube and mounted it on an NEQ6 and not looked back since :)

Guest AstroStruck

Thank you all for the welcome all, I really appreciate it!

Yes. It's one of the best budget lenses you can buy and it produces amazing quality images for its price tag.

A must-have for a start-up bag IMO. :)

That's good to hear, will be investing in one sometime soon! Which lens would you recommend for macro photography?

Hi Syed, a warm welcome to EMS.

Looks like your wallet going to take a battering with these two hobbies. 

Enjoy the forum. :)

Hi Martyn,

Thank you for the welcome. My wallet has already taken quite the battering, but I'd rather spend it on something like astronomy than anything else! :)

Cheers,

Syed

Hi Syed and welcome to the forum :)

It looks like the astro bug has already bitten...

Damian

Hi Damian,

It certainly has, and I'm learning something new about the skies every day (the best thing is that we can never truly know everything!)

Cheers,

Syed

It's been great :) Started life as a dobsonian and then I took the Tube and mounted it on an NEQ6 and not looked back since :)

Awesome. :)

To being with the 60mm macro lens is pretty good and not too expensive, but it does need you to get closer to your targets. Insects can be tricky, particularly if you spook them or are easily creeped out yourself!

The 100mm gives more reach and is again a very good lens. It comes in two variants, the standard version and the L version.

I wouldn't go for the 50mm macro as it's just too short a focal length IMO.

You could also check the 70mm offering from Sigma: http://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/lens/macro-lens/macro-70mm-f28-ex-dg

P.S. 5,000th post.  :pulp:

Guest AstroStruck

To being with the 60mm macro lens is pretty good and not too expensive, but it does need you to get closer to your targets. Insects can be tricky, particularly if you spook them or are easily creeped out yourself!

The 100mm gives more reach and is again a very good lens. It comes in two variants, the standard version and the L version.

I wouldn't go for the 50mm macro as it's just too short a focal length IMO.

You could also check the 70mm offering from Sigma: http://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/lens/macro-lens/macro-70mm-f28-ex-dg

P.S. 5,000th post.  :pulp:

Thanks for the sound advice Craig, I'll definitely look into those options!

P.S. Congratulations!  :D

Hi Syed & welcome to EMS.

Cheers Harry!