• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Observing tips for Mars

philjay

"Mars, its just a bright red/orange blob and I cant see any detail just a polar cap if Im lucky"

I've heard this said many times (or words to those effects) and a lot of folks give up on this planet without really knowing the basics for teasing out the finer detail.

I've been viewing Mars seriously for the past 4 oppositions and I now class Mars as my  favourite planet because its just so rewarding when it all comes together , so here are a few tips on how to tease out that detail before the planet gets too small for useful observation following its recent opposition.

Scopes

It doesn't really matter what type of scope you have, (I first saw Syrtis Major with a Debenhams 1960s Prinz 60mm refractor) just make sure its in good condition, clean and performs to its best e.g. well collimated.

Make sure its cooled and at the same temperature as ambient. E.g. if your planning to view leave the scope outside to cool down for at least an hour before you start.

Eyepieces, again make sure they are clean and free of dirt or fingerprints. They don't have to be bank breaking Televues or Takahashis just good quality plossls will do or even the excellent TMB planetaries, just make sure they are clean.

A driven scope will help especially at higher magnifications but its not necessary. Just make sure its stable and doesn't wobble for 5 minutes after you touch the scope to adjust focus.

Atmosphere

The stiller the better. If its howling a gale with the Jetstream directly overhead, believe me you will not see much. Take a look at the weather forecast and the Jetstream forecast and look for a still (ish) night. It needn't be dead still but the quieter the better.

Transparency, not really that important but it helps. Frequently I have had my best views of planets on nights where there has been high thin mist but because the atmosphere is still viewing has been excellent.

The time of the Icelandic Volcano the other year springs to mind here. The atmosphere was full of fine dust but because of the lack of air traffic and stillness I got superb views.

Mars

Don't even try and view Mars when its near the horizon. Like with viewing any other object the more altitude the better. Viewing at low altitudes means you are looking through the densest part of the atmosphere, so your looking through more muck. Wait till its a bit higher in the sky before turning the scope on it.

You

Wrap up warm, you wont see anything if you are freezing and your teeth are chattering. Wrap up warm.

Make yourself comfortable , use an observing chair, one of the most useful accessories out, I use an Aldi ironing chair, cheap and easy to use.

Technique

Get Mars in the centre of the eyepiece with a low to mid range magnification 75-100x and sit and view for 10 minutes at least drinking in the view. It will be small but see if you can make out the polar cap and dependent upon the face Mars presents, the big triangle of Syrtis Major.

If the image is too bright use a neutral density filter such as a Moon filter, which most of us have in or kit, this will just take the glare off. Detail on Mars is very low contrast and easily gets blown away by the red glare.

Take your time and only when you start to make out detail move up to a slightly higher magnification. Don't go straight in at 500x because you will be disappointed as the atmosphere in the UK does not allow those magnifications very often. Keep at about 150x in this next step.

If your scope can take it use the filter again. Give it a good 10 minutes of viewing and see what else you can see.

If your scope and conditions allow go up another mag, 200x and repeat the process.

Doing it this way trains your eye to pick out subtle detail and you acclimatise your eye and its amazing just what you can see.

Accessories

You don't need vast arrays of fancy kit to observe planets but a relatively cheap accessory and one which works really well and astronomers have been using them on planets for a couple of hundred years is a set of coloured filters. 

Different colours help target different aspects of the planet and tease out detail which would normally be swamped.

On Mars the following filters will help show different detail:

Green - Clouds, Poles

Yellow Green  - Maria. Orange is also good here

Yellow  - Darker albedo features (blue/green areas). Red also is good here

Green - Dust, Poles

Blue - This is my favourite on Mars, polar caps just jump out and cloud really shows up brightly

Conclusion

It doesn't matter what kit you have, to get the best out of Mars takes a bit of patience and time at the eyepiece, don't rush it let the detail come to you :D

Hope that helps

Edited by philjay

Thanks Phil I have trouble seeing Mars detail so I will try out some of your suggestions from the above.

I am guilty of being too impatient  :facepalm: with Mars

Thanks Phil, awesome timing too what with tonight's Belper meet and me borrowing a set of coloured filters last week.

:)

Cheers guys, just thought I would add this as talking to a few folks lately gave me the impression folks were giving up on mars cos its so small and bright.

Daz, the blue is especially useful at the moment, it shows the clouds up a treat

Guest Tweedledum

Thanks so much Phil, its so easy just to point at Mars and say thats it without taking the time to achieve some detail.

It isn't as good as 2003 but it is best viewed about midnight, too late for me during the week. I managed to get some detail on a afocal image but think webcamming would be better. I have seen detail in a 60mm refractor, too but have been using a 127mm Mak for a while.

I have fond memories of the 2003 opposition Phil, I had just restored a Towa 339 80mm f15 and was using it with filters. Due to the altitude and closeness of that year the views were astounding.

• 1 month later...
Guest clarkent

Thanks for the tips Phil.

Highly insightful, now waiting for some clear skies to try them out.

Cheers

Andrew

Hi Andrew, just be aware that Mars has been getting further from earth very rapidly s7nce opposition and is much smaller now making it even more difficult to see detail