• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

M101 - work in progress

xanthic

I got guiding worked again, after much frustration the other night. This is not a finished piece of work, I think I need to double the number of subs or maybe even start over with long subs before I even consider grabbing the RGB. I had quite a severe gradient, which is fixed here. I think I had a lot of LP which has degraded the image, probably another filter to buy!  All comments welcome.

19 x 300 sec Luminence, ED80 & Atik 314L+

0w0khtbu1p3kmpsrlp7v.jpg

Edited by xanthic

Guest Kheldar

Looking good :D

All your detail will come from the L, rule 2 is always more data, more data, more data!

When it comes to the RGB you can get away with less and shorter subs

Without seeing your histogram for the raw subs is say you're about spot on at 5 mins, nice detail showing through

Edited by Kheldar

Looks good Leigh-look forward to seeing the added colour. When you zoom in-going from left to right is a diagonal line, what's that from?

Guest Kheldar

Looks good Leigh-look forward to seeing the added colour. When you zoom in-going from left to right is a diagonal line, what's that from?

Pesky satellite I suspect

Yeah, satellite trail. I'll drop that sub out if the Sigma clipping doesn't fix it.

I collected some more data last night. More trails, even though I used sigma clipping. This is the result of 52 x 300 sec luminence. I'm stil not happy with the contrast and there seems to be a fair amount of grain in the pic (noise or bad contrast or just need even more subs?) There are also some odd "scratch" in the image, which were not there in the first run. I suspect I need to repeat this with an LP filter. Any thoughts?

tepvm4k0hep9kzjax0k1.jpg

Edited by xanthic

Very tidy!

Do we live under a satellite flight path? ;)

Looks great. Well done.

JD