• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Another stupid question - Star Atlas using transpancies

stash

Hi ,

I have all the usual star atlas books - "Turn Left" "Pocket Atlas" etc however are there any Star charts that use transparencies to show what could be seen under different levels of "seeing" / Mag's . The idea being you can add another transparency of the same area that adds stars (or the reverse). I appreciate that is probably asking too much as it depends on equipment being used but still I thought I would ask.

Note Forget Computer programs I am looking for a "field" type atlas that does the above - else I will resort to printing from Stellarium etc

I have googled around but nothing seems to be available although some do have the odd overlay!

Thanks

I know you said forget computer programs but your signature suggests you have a phone/tablet. Could you not use an app to do the same? I use Sky Safari and it has that feature.

Hi Leigh - Yes I could do(and do  - I have Sky Safari) but I like the idea of not relying on tech too much  - I was in IT for over 40 yrs  :)

I've clocked up 20 years so far and quite understand your thinking :D

Printing from Stellarium or similar might not be a bad idea. Perhaps a quick write up on how to do it too?

I've clocked up 20 years so far and quite understand your thinking :D

Printing from Stellarium or similar might not be a bad idea. Perhaps a quick write up on how to do it too?

Sorry Leigh forgot you were in IT - Printing from Computer programs sounds easy but they all have to line up - no tried it yet so if I get anywhere I will let you know. Even thought of using Polarisng lens to exclude dimmer objects(dots) from existing maps - yes I fantasize  some times   :lol:

Could you run Stellarium or the like on a tablet and then just go into the settings and alter the visible magnitude, and save a rain forrest?

If you were to print out, you'd need lots of pages and many verions of each page.

JD

Guest Tweedledum

Oh heck this is the IT section! Between you both 35 yrs...

Stellarium has no facility to direct print, its a ctrl-s and print the subsequent png can be found via the default path   in your ssystem.ini file . Else a printscreen drop the image into editing s\w and away you go.

If you are printing off maps then it is worth considering carte du ciel where you can print off black & white, so you could print to transparency film to build your image if you wanted to add layers of 'seeing'. Also allows telrad circles etc.

Edited by Tweedledum

Could you run Stellarium or the like on a tablet and then just go into the settings and alter the visible magnitude, and save a rain forrest?

If you were to print out, you'd need lots of pages and many verions of each page.

JD

Wood is a renewable resource  :D

I would most probably only do it for a few areas at a time so not too bad and have already do 80 sheets for a deep sky map set including lamination.

Plus as I say I want an non IT solution as I already use Sky Safari plus and I find the screen to small so would have to use a 10 inch tablet then that has other issues.

Oh heck this is the IT section! Between you both 35 yrs...

Stellarium has no facility to direct print, its a ctrl-s and print the subsequent png can be found via the default path   in your ssystem.ini file . Else a printscreen drop the image into editing s\w and away you go.

If you are printing off maps then it is worth considering carte du ciel where you can print off black & white, so you could print to transparency film to build your image if you wanted to add layers of 'seeing'. Also allows telrad circles etc.

Had a quick look at carte du ciel This looks like the fellow and Telrad Circles a bonus - thanks Damien

Perfect !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks all

Edited by stash

No Problem James I do the same.

Damian has found my perfect match will have no excuses now for hitting targets - i wish  :whistle:

Thanks for taking the time to help ! :thumbsup: