• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Daystar Quark - First light

Guest cyborg421

Guest cyborg421

First Light with Daystar Quark (Chromosphere version).
Can I say at the outset that this is my first foray into Hα observing so I have no comparisons that can be made with other solar scopes. I have a APM 100/800 and wanted to be able to use it both during the day and at night. Other options I had been considering would cost in the region of £3000 by the time I had bought all the necessities so the Daystar Quark seemed a good option given its pricing.
An IR/UV cut filter needed to go before the diagonal so I put that in and the Quark in the other end of the diagonal and was reading to go. The Quark needs to be powered (an AC adaptor + lead is supplied). I plugged it in and waited for the light on it to turn from red to green.
On first light, I have to say I was very impressed. I could pick up filaments, sunspots and prominences straight away. The chromospheric network was also clear. The Quark has an adjustment control on the side that allows a variation of 0.5Ã… either side of the centre line to help if required to bring out more detail.
I was surprised by the amount of detail I could see and had a thoroughly enjoyable day transfixed and observing the Sun. I knew it was very active but it was just great being able to see it. My highlight was a group of 4 prominences of varying types.
Would I recommend the Quark? Hell yes.
Simon

Great stuff Simon, glad you got to use the Quark. It sounds promising, I shall be questioning daystar at the Ias this weekend

These look very nice pieces of kit, I would love to have a view through one :) .

Nice report Simon.

You must be one of the first to get hold of one of these Quarks.

I'll be interested in checking them out too at IAS on Saturday.

With a bit of luck they'll have a scope set up outside with one.......? 

• 1 month later...

Ok so I have read the bumf on websites etc about these ep's and they all seem to be very specific about being used with a frac.

Is there any reason why these could not be used with a newt?

The only reason I could see would be something to do with focal lengths.

I've read that if you try to use a newt for solar observing the sun can (not always) melt the adhesive used to stick the secondary to the spider of you observe for a long time. I can imagine (having looked through the quark) that it would be easy to lose track of time when doing Ha observing-so much to look at :)

Hmmm, thanks Felix.

Confused, thought on the 200P the spider is attached via thumb screws to the OTA and the secondary is attached to the spider via a central screw with the 3 collimation screws for adjustment.

I don't think any adhesive is used ??????

They do talk about ERF (Energy Reduction Filters) to limit the "heat" getting into the OTA but they only cater for larger fracs.

Edited by Daz Type-R

Daz, the adhesive is stuck to the back of the secondary, its what holds it on to the metal bit that the thumb screws work on. An unfilterd primary will focus the suns heat/radiation as it does with any light, the secondary is very close to the focal point thus all that energy will be concentrated on it. Melting adhesive as well as damage to the secondary mirror will be the problem

Well there you go, you learn something every day, thanks Phil.

Felix - I stand corrected!  :blush:

Well that just means I`m going to have to get a frac then doesn't it, it's going to be cheaper to get a frac and that ep then a dedicated solar scope.

Something else for the wish list.....    :facepalm:

Well there you go, you learn something every day, thanks Phil.

Felix - I stand corrected! :blush:

Well that just means I`m going to have to get a frac then doesn't it, it's going to be cheaper to get a frac and that ep then a dedicated solar scope.

Something else for the wish list..... :facepalm:

No worries Daz :)

Thanks Phil for the explanation too.

As regards a Ha scope I am extremely tempted by the LS50THa, coming in at under a grand and being a dedicated, pressure tuned Etalon solar scope

Edited by catman161