• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

New FLO weather site for Astro

stash

Steve (at FLO) showed me this weather app at the IAS and it really is impressive. All they need now is an add on to manipulate the weather and it would be perfect. :lol:

I also had a nice chat with FLO on Saturday where they showed me this. 

It looks very good......i mentioned about any possibility of a dedicated app for iOS ?

Well......thats in the pipeline too so i'm told.... :)

Yes - some functionality doesn't seem to work on Ipad - though it could just be me being daft - you never know lol. :)

Yeah also got it bookmarked ..... Like the info it gives an the layout is easy to read at a glance, but need to watch how good its predictions are and how it compares to others.

The only suggestion I would make is there should be a filter to show "good seeing hours over next week" so that I don't have to look at each day. Wouldn't be a very big output I suspect  :(

• 2 weeks later...

I've been comparing the new FLO site to the BBC Weather and 7timer site and for me the BBC is getting it right (or at least closer) far more than FLO or 7timer.  FLO does update regularly, but BBC still seems closer to the conditions outside my window.

At the moment FLO is showing 'Red' from 1800-2300 and BBC is showing clear from 21:00 throughout the night.

I left my mount setup after doing some solar imaging earlier today just in case the BBC have it right (So having done that should probably expect cloud  :().

I've been comparing the new FLO site to the BBC Weather and 7timer site and for me the BBC is getting it right (or at least closer) far more than FLO or 7timer.  FLO does update regularly, but BBC still seems closer to the conditions outside my window.

At the moment FLO is showing 'Red' from 1800-2300 and BBC is showing clear from 21:00 throughout the night.

I left my mount setup after doing some solar imaging earlier today just in case the BBC have it right (So having done that should probably expect cloud  :().

Funny enough the Met Office were way out and FLO were spot on for me last night.Met Office thumb in the air said clear as a Vodka from 22.30 (forecast update at 22.00) thru to morning. Flo said short burst of nearly clear skies but then said increasing high cloud. Flo were right.  For my end of Cranwell anyway. :P

Well looking at the forecasts for tonight ......

If I look at FLO then I may as well pack away now.

If I look at the BBC then I stay set up.

If I look at 7Timer! then I should have had totally clear skies from 1600 and not a sign of cloud until 7am!  <- not a chance!

I'm  looking at heavy/dark clouds overhead right now.   I think 7Timer must think I live somewhere else, things need to clear up dramatically in the next 2-3 hours for the BBC to be correct. I get the feeling FLO could come out on top tonight ..... Typical  :lol:

Just can't bring myself to pack away now because I know as soon as I do the skies will clear!

As the weather seems to be moving sw from Cranwell you will be getting clear skies from 9.00pm for how long I will let you know when I see it change here. Must admit I look at the live Radar and try and see which way the cloud/weather is going - its as good as anyone else's guess  :D

Hope you get clear skies