• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

New Eyepieces

Tweedledee

Guest peepshow

Blimey, Pete, that 9 eyepiece is bigger that some 'scopes. :)  Really impressive piece of kit.

Pity you lost an arm and a leg in order to buy 'em. :D

Using those on your 14 incher you will be able to see the Universe as a God might see it

at a dark site.

Guest devil74

I had the luxury of actually holding these the other night...they are a monster of an EP....hope you have a good patio base  :D

Lovely stuff - looking forward to hearing about the views in those H purged eye pieces. :)

What a small bottle you have there ;-)

Seriously though, that's a lovely group you have there, I'm looking forward to having a squiss through it. :-)

Lovely stuff - looking forward to hearing about the views in those H purged eye pieces. :)

Forgive me Kim but arn't they Argon and Nitrogen purged :ph34r: - not H (hydrogen) or I am missing something with the spec of these - very nice they are too 

My mistake Clive - it says Argon purged on the eyepiece in the picture. Still looking forward to the reports :)

My mistake Clive - it says Argon purged on the eyepiece in the picture. Still looking forward to the reports :)

Kim do you have to have them repurged/refilled every now and then ?

H,N,Ar Atoms not as small as Helium which escapes through the smallest gaps but are the seals that perfect  :chin_scratch2:

Cheers everyone, I'm well pleased adding these beauties to my collection and looking forward to the views.

These eyepieces are waterproof and Argon/Nitrogen purged to stop any condensation or fungus type growths forming on the internal surfaces or lenses. It also means they can be cleaned more easily without fear of cleaning solvents or anything seeping inside which could also be detrimental to the views and very difficult to clean off. As far as I have read, the Argon and Nitrogen should never leak out unless the eyepieces were taken apart. Then I'm sure that they would still work fine but would be slightly more prone to problems of condensation or fungus. Without sending them back to ES, I would have thought re purging would be difficult.

I had my fears that customs might take them apart, looking for concealed illegal immigrants or other substances :)

It took just 3 days to get them into the UK from California, 4 days in UK customs and then 4 days for Royal Mail to ship them internally!

Edited by dunspendin

Nice set there Pete.

Is the 9mm 120 degree FOV???

Would love to compare the 14mm ES to my 13mm Ethos, just see if there's much difference.

Thanks Daz,

No, the 9mm is NOT 120 degrees.

The eyepiece has a field stop of exactly 21.7mm which means it actually has a colossal field of view of...

138 degrees!!!! :blink:

Some American guys (you know, the ones with 30" plus dobs and a little 18" grab n'go :2thumbsup: ) were measuring it by various observational methods at up to 144 degrees. 138 will do for me though! :o

I have spoken with the Explore Scientific technical department about this who have confirmed this. They also tell me that more focal lengths are currently being developed in the 120 degree series :facepalm2: .

Al Naglers 82 degree "Spacewalk Experience" is so last century :lol:

138 degrees shows 2.83 times as much sky as the same focal length 82 degree eyepiece!!!

This really is pushing the envelope!! :)

The american reports I have read comparing the 13mm Ethos and 14mm ES, show virtually no discernable difference between the two views.

This might be of interest...

http://www.eastmidlandsstargazers.org.uk/topic/5150-x-ray-your-clone/

Cheers,

Pete.

Her indoors better get saving I know what I want for Xmas - Which Xmas might be the problem  :D

Her indoors better get saving I know what I want for Xmas - Which Xmas might be the problem  :D

WARNING: The views through these types of eyepiece can be very addictive.

They may seriously reduce your "stash", possibly resulting in a change of username :)

Can I resist the rest of the 120 degree series when they become available? I blame Al Nagler - way back about 15 years ago, I paid £650 for a 31mm and £320 for a 9mm Nagler and was hooked, and didn't regret one penny of it. Maybe I'm just a bit crazy :)

Sweet looking set there Pete, they are proper beasts.

Which Kidney did you sell? :lol:

Hydrogen purged eyepieces would have had customs twitching like a plague of camel fleas. "Right, I can see they are primed, where's the pin"?

I don't think it's like car tyres where you have to top 'em up every now and then lol. :)

I hope you are right Kim :)

Sweet looking set there Pete, they are proper beasts.

Which Kidney did you sell? :lol:

As per Peepshow above, just an arm and leg. Saving the kidneys for the remainder of the 120 degree range :)

They look great Pete.

Bet you can't wait to try them out on the 14"er........

WARNING: The views through these types of eyepiece can be very addictive.

They may seriously reduce your "stash", possibly resulting in a change of username :)

Can I resist the rest of the 120 degree series when they become available? I blame Al Nagler - way back about 15 years ago, I paid £650 for a 31mm and £320 for a 9mm Nagler and was hooked, and didn't regret one penny of it. Maybe I'm just a bit crazy :)

Perhaps to Mr Trump - isn't his ex free and loaded  :D

Drooling as I write - for the EyeP's

Edited by stash

Perhaps to Mr Trump - isn't his ex free and loaded  :D

Drooling as I write - for the EyeP's

Be careful Clive, or you might get kicked out with the 250p :)

The eps are probably going to be ornaments for a little while, till I finish some mods on the dob.

The eps are probably going to be ornaments for a little while, till I finish some mods on the dob.

That's all right I was thrown out of the Scouts for doing the "Cherry Lane Sketch" and the Scouts and Girl Guides Xmas party.  :lol:

Don't leave the "mods" too long it would be a shame for those "lovelies" to gather dust.

Guest peepshow

Earrings for the wife? :)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest northernstar

Eyepieces's????  They look more like weapons of mass destruction.....hope you have an arms permit for them!  (Am quite jealous none the less) :rolleyes: