• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

hello from west brom

Guest Andy 5312

Guest Andy 5312

Hi to one and all. I am relatively new to the world of astronomy but finding it fascinating and frustrating at times. Went out on a limb and purchased a skywatcher 130 eq2 . Didnt want to spend too much in one go as not sure as this was a hobby i would stick with. ( wish i had splashed a little more now tho ) ...Enjoy observing the planets and of course our natural satelite but finding dso very hard to find. Got my hands on a telrad thinking this would be the way forward and downloaded a few telrad sky charts . But still no joy . Patience is a virtue.....thats all for now folkes clear skies tomone and all

Guest CodnorPaul

Ah a fellow Brummie (sort of) - welcome. Keep working at it, and if you don't already try from a dark site - amazing what a difference it makes and you will find locating a few dso's easier

Hi Andrea, welcome aboard.

I've got a skywatcher 130/900 on an eq2, Its not a bad little scope and has surprised me a few times even when compared to larger scopes. I have seen plenty of DSO's with mine. The key is to get it to a darksite, and dont expect to see much detail just fuzzy blobs. The beauty is your scope is easy to transport around.

Good luck.

Welcome to EMS Andrea.

DSO's can be a struggle to find, especially from light polluted skies. With a bit of perseverance they can be very rewarding, and there are so many. Stick with the brighter ones initially and get used to finding and viewing them. Get to a dark site as Paul says above, and ask for help from others, and you'll soon learn the techniques to find and see them better. "Turn Left At Orion" is an excellent book to help you, and Stellarium is the best free software to download, if you don't already have them :) .

Hi Andrea, a warm welcome to EMS.

That's a good scope to get going with, it will keep you busy for a while. A dark site really helps finding the DSO's, it makes a world of difference.

Enjoy the forum. :)

Andrea, Welcome to EMS.

Yes DSOs are not always easy as they are not the brightest things and you have to accustom your eye(s) to see them.

I find very often they are easier to spot while slowly moving the scope as you are suddenly aware of a lighter area in your periferal vision, which is more sensitive.

Have fun,

Ade