• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

windows 7 operating system

red dwalf

I'm hoping to upgrade my windows xp computers to windows 7, not sure if i need 32 or 64 bit versions but for what I want to use it for a because my pc only has 2gb of ram i think 32 bit will be fine.

So if you have upgraded from windows 7 to windows 8 and you have a windows 7 disc lying around that you won't use anymore then I would be interested in buying it from you.

Needed for 2 desktop pc's and maybe 1 laptop.

Cheers,

Rob

32 would be best you need the ram if your using window7 I'm guessing some of the computer guys will say different but only going with what I know Rob

Guest Kheldar

32 will be sufficient but you're going to really struggle to buy a disc as PC makers just don't supply clean install disks any more - they're either on the computers hard drive or made to only work with the specific PC

Also I don't think you can resell windows as the licence will be activated against the originals machine

Bear in mind you need one licence for EACH machine

A single licence box is around 40, a triple licence box 110

right thanks for that Steve, seems to be a ploy to keep you buying newer machines then L.O.L.

2gb of ram ain't gonna give you much performance if your planning on tabbing between windows and running EQMod,stellarium and such it would be well worth the outlay to upgrade to 4gb at least. If you plan to go above 4gb you really need 64bit to get the benefit

Edited by Teslar

Guest Kheldar

2gb of ram ain't gonna give you much performance if your planning on tabbing between windows and running EQMod,stellarium and such it would be well worth the outlay to upgrade to 4gb at least. If you plan to go above 4gb you really need 64bit to get the benefit

Whilst I agree in principal (more memory, more memory, more memory!) I have to say in the astro case I don't :wacko:

Take Stellarium out of the equation (CDC, you know you want to ...) and 2GB/Win7 is MORE than ample memory to run a whole imaging suite :)

Edited by Kheldar

I agree

my obs pc only has a measly 1gb of ram

it used to be 2 but the other bank failed

but I am running XP

the old laptop used to run fine with Win 7 and ran the portable rig no problem

I admit it was a little slow on stacking and PS took an age to fire up but that could have been the slower spin speed of the HDD