• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Help with Nexstar 4

Guest northernstar

Guest northernstar

My scope seems to be playing up this morning. Last time I used it, it slewed fine. Now when I turn it on, I get a couple of error msgs saying no resonse, invalid model. The menu's seem to work but it doesn't slew. I have tried both new batteries and mains...nothing!! Has anyone else had this problem?

Guest Tweedledum

Hi Mike,

From Celestron ..--

Cheers

What does the hand control message No response 16 (and/or No response 17) mean?

Answer"No response" means that the hand control has lost communication with the electronics board within the base of the telescope.  The number following this message will indicate the address of the component that has lost communication. 16 indicates the azimuth or RA motor board, 17 the altitude (declination) motor board. Unfortunately, this number doesn't tell why the error has occurred.

To clear the no response messages, repeatedly press Undo. This fix may be only temporary and does not address the potential underlying problem.

There are several reasons why this error message would appear.  Insufficient power is the most common. Check your power supply.  If the DC battery is low, the scope will be unable to communicate with the base of the telescope.  If you are using an AC adapter, please make sure that the adapter is rated for an output of 12 volts DC at a minimum of 2500 mA (2.5 Amps).  If your adapter puts out less current than 2500 mA, the scope will not be able to communicate properly. Check all power connections including the power port pin for solid connectivity. 

If you have a cable in the PC port (of a mount that has a PC port) that is not connected to anything, then this can also cause the messages to appear.

The next potential causes: the hand control, the motor control circuit board, the motors, or the cables-wiring-connectors in between.  Plug in the hand control to an AUX port and see if this eliminates the message. CGE DEC and RA cables are easy to check and swap around to see if it's these cables or their ports. Advanced GT mounts similarly have the DEC cable that might be the problem. Try reflashing (updating) the motor control firmware. If you are able to update the hand control but not the motor control, the problem is most likely the motor control board.

A computer crash or communications break between your PC and the hand control during an MC update may result in either “Initializingâ€, blank screen, “No Response 16†or “No Response 17†messages. This will prevent your updating the MC for your mount. To clear the no response messages, repeatedly press UNDO. Then proceed as usual with the MC update.

If these ideas don't work, it’s best to send the mount and hand control back to Celestron for factory service.

Guest northernstar

I've tried everything but as I am a complete novice it's all a bit over my head. Was hoping to bring it to the BBQ later but guess there is no point now.

Guest northernstar

Unfortunately, don't think so. But watch this space, don't know what I did but the PC seems to actually be talking to the scope and appears to be downloading the motor control firmware....will let it finish and see what happens.

would a flash of the handset software be any good in restoring service ?

Guest northernstar

I think that is what I did in the end. Still not exactly sure how I did it but it slews now so I am happy.

Guest Tweedledum

That's always a good place to start to ensure you have the latest firmware for the electronics. Glad it is sorted.

• 1 month later...
Guest northernstar

Update: Tried to use the scope last night for the first time since "fixing" it only to find it won't slew at all...error codes 16 & 17!!! All the other hand control function work so know it has to be something with either the motor control firmware or some kind of loose connection somewhere. I am thinking it might be time to upgrade to something more reliable. I don't think I will ever touch a Celestron scope again!

Guest CodnorPaul

A C8 on an neq6 is a nice upgrade... Just saying in case.

But seriously Celestron kit is normally good so its a shame you are having problems, although I didn't get on with the same mount.

Edited by CodnorPaul

One of our loan scopes is a Celestron 114 reflector on a EQ mount, have a look in the beginners section, EMS loan scope near the top, have a read and if interested, PM a mod or admin, you could try that handset on your mount, might help to identify where the problem is, failing that, you will be borrowing a working scope while you sort yours.

Just a thought.

Guest northernstar

Thanks guys for tha advice and kind offer. Let me have a play with mine first to see if I can fix it. If not then it might certainly be worth trying another controller to try and find the issue.

A C8 on an neq6 is a nice upgrade... Just saying in case.

But seriously Celestron kit is normally good so its a shame you are having problems, although I didn't get on with the same mount.

same here, took my C8 of the nexstar mount and put it on a Neq6, great bit of kit now.

Guest northernstar

Upgrade? After a lot of research, thinking for my upgrade I am seriously considering the Skywatcher Explorer 250P-DS on a NEQ6 Pro Synscan. Am thinking I could then also use my Nexstar 4 on the mount meaning that just by swapping scopes I would have both a 4" and a 10". I guess it is possible to mount the Nexstar on the mount??? There is nothing wrong with the scope, just the mount. Anyway, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Guest northernstar

I certainly would like to have a dabble sometime in AP but will be for visual first until I can getmy head around the mechanics of AP.

Guest CodnorPaul

Good mount choice then - obviously a big tube to control but for visual should be OK, can easily do some mods to it too

the 250 pds might be alittle too big, you really don`t need alot of light grasp to do astro photography thats why the 80 mm refractors are so popular, easy to handle, in the wind also, no collimation issues, not as heavy to use on the mount, don`t take up loads of room and so on. you could try some imaging with the 4 se on the eq mount to start with, will carry that scope with ease and you`ll proberly need to get a cheap guide scope and camera also for guided subs.

Guest northernstar

If I am completely honest, will probably end up doing pretty much deep space visual only which is why I want the bigger scope.