• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

What to image and some recommended settings

Guest Philmarriott

Guest Philmarriott

Fingers crossed I may get out tonight. Can anyone suggest some good objects to image this time of year and maybe some recommended settings for my lights? Starwave 80ed with canon 1100d.

might be alittle late for a suggestion Phil, but m13 might be a good target, iso of 400 maybe 800 at most, try with 2 minute subs to start off with, don`t want to burn out the core, if your after a galaxy then m101 is fairly high still and should give a nice result, maybe 4 or 5 minute subs

Guest Philmarriott

Nice one Rob. I got out but I couldn't get it set up properly as mount wouldn't till back enough to polar align so tilted the whole thing and tried it but star trails were unbelievable. First time using it al and had to be up at 04.30 so the whole thing didn't go to plan.

Never had that problem with a HEQ5? Dec scale on the mount side is pretty reliable for a good starting point, check it with a phone app spirit level as a second check.

Let me know how you get on, try setting up 53' during daylight first  :)

Cheers

Ron

Guest Philmarriott

Thanks Ron. I took the bolts out that adjust the mount and they were the wrong way round so I will not have that problem next time. Will go direct pulse guiding too instead of using auto guide port. Just need a clear night now :)

Glad your sorted! I use the upgraded alt& azi bolts, they are much stonger than the supplied bolts!  :)