• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Baader Hyperion Zoom

Guest northernstar

Guest northernstar

So after much research and reading through past forum posts, I took the plunge and purchased the zoom eyepiece from FLO. I ordered it Thursday and it arrived the next day...great service indeed! Now just need the weather to break to try it out.

Congratulations on your new purchase, it's a decent ep and a much bigger step up from the stock eps that scopes shop with, I had mine for over a year before I upgraded again. Only downsides I found were it lost its clarity towards the edge and it's not par focal like they say it is, but they are minor compared to the versatility of the ep. Enjoy.

Guest northernstar

I guess until I try it I won't know how good it is. I bought it more for convenience sake really....just one ep and one baader neodymium filter instead of constantly swapping ep's and filters

It's a good eyepiece, and like you say, it's convenient and saves messing about swapping eyepieces around. It does have minor drawbacks, but it is a good all round performer.

Hello Mike. What's the zoom range on the ep?

Can you post again when you've had a chance to test it and give a bit of a review please.

Thanks.

Guest northernstar

Hi Alan, the zoom ranges from 8mm to 24mm. It click stops at 8,12,16,20,24. I will gladly update when I get the chance to use it.

• 1 month later...
Guest MichaelDurban

I'm also leaning towards the Baader zoom...

With my Explore Sc. (2x) focal extender this should lead to nice views

right to the edge of the FOV (eh..I hope)..

I also read good things about the Zhumell zoom...although that will be

a different thread of course.

• 4 months later...

Ive been using the Vixen LV version for 8 years now, the zoom range makes them very versatile. Good planetary eyepiece not particularly wide but they are good performers

Looks more like a spotting scope eyepiece that does.

Yes, it says 25x to 50x on it. On another site it says the weight is only 500 grams.

The Leica zoom is 17.5 oz. (a kilo and a little bit)

Comparable with a 21 Ethos, 41 Pan, that sort of size.

I had a moment of madness a while ago and thought a pair of them would be nice in my Mk V.

At 59mm wide though, they may be a bit too wide.....in comparison the Baader 8-24 is 50mm wide, and thats a hefty eyepiece in its own right.

Sorry....what am i on about ??  :blush:

17.5 oz is just under half a kilo. Theres 28.3495 g in an ounce. 

So, thats 496g each : half a kilo is right,  its comparable to a Tv Delos.