• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Summer projects.

Daz Type-R

Well these have been a long time coming but I have eventually pulled my finger out and got about sorting them out.

First up I have enlisted the help of our very own metal bender Graham (http://www.astrotecuk.co.uk) to fashion me a more advanced sort of counter weight system.  My current counter weight system kept dropping off due to the dew so this should be much better.

Its currently on plan B at the moment as plan A did not quite go to plan but I'm hoping plan B is not too long in coming.

Some pictures of plan A.....

94F2CF13-EB78-4DEF-9F69-FD47BB68C6AD_zps

Thanks a lot Graham, much appreciated.    :thumbsup:

Next up, flocking!!!!   (yeah I know, about 12 months behind everyone else).....

Enlisted the help of Martyn (Baz) and his child free environment for this one, as I didn't fancy doing this with the "help" of my 4 year old.

Got a few rolls of DC-Fix from Wilkos, set about stripping the scope down and thought while the primary is out we may as well give that a clean, everything went great and I`m shocked at how dark the OTA is now its flocked. 

Hers some before and after pictures....

OTA in bits.

983DA354-9637-42E4-A16D-E41939071301_zps

480B542D-0DCE-45B5-B963-B6D2BB5B8DFA_zps

Before and after of the primary....

767B9FB1-1A50-4F40-ABD1-7CA77BD4E02C_zps

A5E27565-3950-456D-A024-0D9D053A20A2_zps

And before, during and after the flocking...

585FCC2F-49E3-4829-972A-9DA6A37EE85A_zps

AF2123AF-9928-4AA4-B1DF-F3193A1F54A2_zps

696112D9-4BD5-4490-A538-E3728B8B6FB7_zps

Again, massive thanks to Baz for all his help (and tools), I would of struggled to do such a great job by myself unless I went out and bought the right kit before hand.

So that's me sorted now, can't think what else to do to the dob, bring on the dark skies!!!!

Nice work Darren.

Let us know how it performs when you get chance  :)

Very nice Daz, well worth the wait ;-) That counter weight system is very clever, looking forward to seeing it in use. :-)

Good stuff Daz (and Martyn) really nicely done. I like the counter weight system, very nice indeed.

Thanks all.

Like I say, big shout goes out to Graham and Martyn, they have helped loads in the design, making and flocking / cleaning side of things.

The counter weight system does not quite work yet, that was plan A's effort, Graham is currently rustling up Plan B, so watch this space.

Turned out alright didn't it. You can certainly see the difference that flocking makes.

Nice mods there Daz.  :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Ok guys and gals, bear with me on this one.

If I was to remove the square in pencil in the picture below, from my dob base, would it have any adverse effect on the strength of the base?

B81138D3-2175-4A76-A1FC-42E92D198C8F_zps

Cheers.

Marvellous.

I thought that but thought it best to check.

Cheers.

Below is a picture of PLAN B for the counter weight system, as plan A above did not work.

9927193A-D8EC-4B6C-A087-C2D5AF1A0E72_zps

Trouble is that still did not work, I was about to give up when I realised I was being an idiot and the weight needs to be below the OTA not on top. So last night I twisted it round and it works great, trouble is now, I can only get to 82 degrees before the counter weight hits the dob board, I know it's going to be rare I am observing at 82 degrees plus but I wanted full motion of the dob. So by cutting a whole in the dob board, when at 82 degrees plus, the weight will fit through the hole.

Sorry Daz but the counterweight is not in keeping with this being the highest tech dob around, you need a motor drive on it so you can adjust the balance from the eyepiece :-) :-)

Nice job mate

Sorry Daz but the counterweight is not in keeping with this being the highest tech dob around, you need a motor drive on it so you can adjust the balance from the eyepiece :-) :-)

Nice job mate

Lol, but I kinda agree ;-)