• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

NEQ 6 or NEQ 5

Guest StevenWhatley

Guest StevenWhatley

So I'm looking at going down the ED80 route.. I was/am considering a NEQ6 but wondering with the ED80 be relatively small is an NEQ 5 good enough I see lots of people rave about the 6 but I don't want to spend more then I really have to.

Thoughts please...

Nothing wrong with the heq 5 pro, but the neq 6 will carry more weight therefore less strain on the mount , but a heq 5 should carry that scope and a guide scope very well.

I have an NEQ6 Pro with belt drive modification and strip down and regrease for sale if you wanted to come and get a hands on look at one-you're more than welcome. I highly rate the NEQ6 and especially since the belt drive modification, very smooth and whisper quiet when tracking.

Guest StevenWhatley

I've seen and I'm really tempted but its a bit out of my budget at the min.. Even at your bargain price. Im hoping to sell my gear ASAP to release funds :( typical !!

Your welcome to see my HEQ5 at work Steven, highly recommended unless your going to get a 'big' scope! See you tomorrow at BF?

Guest StevenWhatley

Nah not a big one, seeing the photos you get from the ED its plenty good enough for what I want to do at the min so may go down the ed80 heq5 route as saves me a good few hundred quid.. Ps I'm unable to make it tomorrow due to a wedding but I will message you and try to pop round after work one day next week and have a chat if ok??

Guest Philmarriott

Recently bought the hew5 pro and absolutely love it. Quality mount and holds my ed80, twin dovetail, st80 guide scope, canon dslr and guide camera perfectly. Plus side also is that it's a lot lighter then the 6 so if you have to move it around like I do then it's just that easier to handle. Hope it helps.

Guest StevenWhatley
Recently bought the hew5 pro and absolutely love it. Quality mount and holds my ed80, twin dovetail, st80 guide scope, canon dslr and guide camera perfectly. Plus side also is that it's a lot lighter then the 6 so if you have to move it around like I do then it's just that easier to handle. Hope it helps.

Good to know cheers!!

I would say get the 6, it will save you selling the 5 at a later date to buy a 6. Both will do what you want but the 6 will do it with greater ease and will allow for bigger later which we all say won't happen but invariably does......

Guest northernstar

I admit to being pretty clueless about a lot of the tech side, but after much research I know I will be buying the NEQ6 when I upgrade. Not sure what scope yet but as the NEQ6 is so flexible it gives more choices.

Would go for the 6. I have had both mounts and there is no competition

No experience with HEQ 5. But the 6 is worth the extra

I've got a HEQ5. It's not bad, more so since Graham serviced it and added the belt mod. It's weight limit is low though and will limit what you can put on it, especially if you want to do astrophotography.

Don't fully agree Leigh, my HEQ5 (inc belt mod) carries a MN190 and AP kit without a problem (got 3 weights on mind you!) I think at the end of the day it comes down to cost and the scope you're going to use  :)

Guest CodnorPaul

I had same decision and went for the 6 - best to pay the extra little bit now, than have to sell and upgrade in the future

Guest fondofchips

Never regretted for a moment buying the AZ EQ6 mount, even though it completely blew all of my astro kit budget & I've still not got it set up properly yet due to cloud and late nights mainly.  I've simply taken the more long term decision in terms of astro gear.

So much more stable on a pier than on a tripod, now looking forward to the darker winter months.

Solid foundations really are a luxury.