• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

If money was no object.........

Guest northernstar

Guest northernstar

After discovering how much some items can cost to enjoy this "hobby" that we all share, I thought it would be interesting to see what would be people's ideal set up if money was no object.  I am sure that like anything, the answers will be varied  but hopefully interesting for all.

For me, I have always dreamed of building my own luxury log home in the middle of the country with water and trees as a natural landscape feature.  It goes without saying that the site would be in a dark-skies area.  My home would have a built in observatory tower that would be accessed by a spiral staircase from the top floor of the house so I could access it whenever I felt the urge!

The observatory will of course have a work area with desk and the obligatory coffee maker for those late nights.

Now comes the difficult bit................what to mount in the observatory.  Obviously, it would be the biggest, badass scope I could get!  As far as the type and size I really have no idea at this point.  I would be very interested to hear what other's would mount.  What I do know is that I would certainly be buying a great selection of the absolute best ep's as well as all the other essential accessories on the market.  £1000+ for an eyepiece....who cares, buy the whole range!!!  Maybe buy more than one of each just because they look soooooo nice!

Remember, this is all about what people would do if money was no object, not about what people currently have or the best they can get within current financial constraints.  Feel free to dream big!!!

Mike

If money were no object...... Obs in Chile with an accompanying pig farm for plenty of bacon and plenty of chickens for eggs to go with the bacon.

If you're going to build the log house put the obs in a separate building, the thermals off the main building will cause image issues if you stick it on top ;)

Guest northernstar

Hmmmm, good choice but don't think NASA would sell one of those to us normal pleb's. I did say dream big and am guessing you can't dream much bigger than your very own Hubble [emoji1]

Guest northernstar

And Mike, good point about the thermals.....just liked the idea of the spiral stairs up the tower. Guess it would be better separate thinking about it.

Guest northernstar

If money were no object...... Obs in Chile with an accompanying pig farm for plenty of bacon and plenty of chickens for eggs to go with the bacon.

If you're going to build the log house put the obs in a separate building, the thermals off the main building will cause image issues if you stick it on top ;)

Bacon and eggs....fresh from the farm, could definitely get used to that.

Guest northernstar

Yeah, I agree with you there...it does look a great scope. Be even better if it was 35" or bigger.... [emoji1]

They have - Nasa gave up on a Sun probe which some "Geeks" have/will hacked  ,with Nasa's approval , and have got it going again - sort of  - http://newslink.federallabs.org/2014/05/30/citizen-scientists-hack-retired-nasa-probe-with-a-little-help-from-a-space-act-agreement/

So maybe there is a chance to get Hubble 

we will discuss again at length i suppose at Kelling, if you make it, or failing that at EMS.  hmmmmm  bacon now that a good idea :D

Money no object - simple - a private space craft with Telescope(size ?)  in Northern/Southern Pole geostationary orbit (but can be moved) - Private version of a Scram Jet to get my there in 30mins. No clouds (earth),No rains and no other interruptions and I will have the soul right to the TV flicker when I might get bored.

I won't see it but I bet some "nice" :bat:  rich Russian Oligarch will get himself one in the next 30 years. 

Guest northernstar

Some good replys, and definitely some outrageous dreaming going on! How about ideas for the dream setup that could actually be bought by normal people if money was no object.

we will discuss again at length i suppose at Kelling, if you make it, or failing that at EMS. hmmmmm bacon now that a good idea :D

How many Kellingings and EMS's has it been discussed at?????

Well, for me, I am currently happier than I have ever been with my kit, even though I have yet to observe with it! So I think I now pretty much have my dream setup. :)

Before spending my hard earned cash, I have used knowledge gained over the years and deliberated long and hard over my prospective purchases to ensure I get what I need for my particular astronomical interests. Others will have very different needs, which is why one persons kit will not satisfy others. There are always numerous compromises to consider. One of mine being that since I can't afford a house/obsy on some mountain with mag 7 skies, I therefore need something big enough to show me some interesting stuff, which is still small enough to fit in my current car, so I can take it to darker skies than my backyard.

With astro gear there is always going to be modifications to do and new accessories to lust after, which is part of the fun.

And yes, there are other even more expensive eyepieces I would like to try, but really can't afford. One American made eyepiece incorporates Gen 3 night vision technology and is illegal for use in the UK!  :angry:  It would wrap up nicely in some shirts in my holiday suitcase though. :ph34r::facepalm:

Guest northernstar

Ah Pete, that's my whole point. If you could have the "house/obsy on some mountain" then you could have the scope of your dreams because you wouldn't have to lug it anywhere!

And yes, there are other even more expensive eyepieces I would like to try, but really can't afford. One American made eyepiece incorporates Gen 3 night vision technology and is illegal for use in the UK!  :angry:  It would wrap up nicely in some shirts in my holiday suitcase though. :ph34r::facepalm:

Yeah, but the next cruise missile is coming in through the lounge window, they know who you are! :lol:

Wow, image intensifier eyepieces, and I dream about Naglers.  :o 

To add to the above: a massive solar telescope to image in hydrogen alpha light and/or calcium K and other wavelengths.

I think the Sun is the most exciting object in the sky but then I would wouldn't I?

How many Kellingings and EMS's has it been discussed at?????

One of each I think :lol:

Guest northernstar

A great solar scope is something I hadn't considered, but now that you've mentioned it, I think I will add it to the dream shopping list.

If money were no object I would spend it on English lessons.  :D  :D :D    Get it?? 

I'd spend it on maths lessons, the grammar is less ambiguous. :D