• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

The Cacoon Nebula

red dwalf

a new target for me from the usual bright star clusters and galaxy's, taken over the course of this week taking time to focus properly each channel in turn and really taking my time over it.

A real challenge to process also as this has Ha channel added, something i`ve never done before, i`m sure i could do more with the data but even having read loads and asking lots of questions on the internet i come to the conclusion i still know very little about proper processing.

anyway i don`t think i did too badly.

comments and tips welcome.

finishedcacoonnebsrgb_zps2a657da6.png

had another go at processing this one with added flats to the original, hopefully it`s a little better than the first effort.

finishedHaLRGB_zps9aaa9ce0.png

here`s what can be produced when you have someone who understands how to process the data properly,

with grateful thanks to to Peter Shah for this amazing effort using the same data.

RobsCocoonRGB_zpsc945aec2.jpg

Edited by red dwalf

Looks good to me Rob, do you have a cropped image of the nebula? PS is one steep learning curve but you seem to be having lots of practise and getting good results!

Cheers

Ron

Guest ollypenrice

You have good data. The obvious problem is that the colour channels are badly aligned with a huge red-green offset. I don't know how you align your channels but I generally use AstroArt 5. It is not infallible and, when it isn't, I use the only infallible software that I know and that's Registar. Once you have perfect RGB alignment you are singing. If you sort this out your image will leap up three levels of excellence!

Olly

Thanks Olly,

I try to align the channels using the histogram in ps3 and individual rgb levels moving one or the other until the 3 channels are on top of each other, I'm more than likely doing it wrong ,Photoshop isp a big learning curve,

Also having trouble trying to keep the stars down while trying to bring out the faint neb.

updated a new picture with some flats added and hopefully better processing L.O.L.

thankyou all,

it`s certainly given me a little headache, but i think i`m on the right track, i hope L.O.L.